"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, July 7, 2017

At the Parade

I was humbled beyond belief.

I was far behind our campaign group as I was walking with a wee one, then I was walking in the crowds handing out campaign leaflets.

While walking, smiling and generally quite content I saw a few things that changed what I was doing.  I know why we were in the parade, but sometimes even when you think things are about your goals, something humbles you.

I saw several men wearing this hat:


Image result for vietnam veteran hat
Photo credit: ushonor.com


I stopped thinking about my purpose and went and gave each one a hug.  These men weren't young men anymore.  They were older, some with canes, some with oxygen, yet they were standing and supporting our community and its Independence Day Parade.

Throughout the parade route I saw men wearing hats like this.  While I am thankful to have the opportunity to share Bill's campaign goals I cannot forget that people matter.  Over the years, I have spoken to veterans that have carried great pain because they survived when their buddy did not.  I pray that my hugs to these men, as well as what I said, allowed them comfort.  It is not their burden.  Life is hard enough without attaching burdens that aren't yours to carry.

With that, my very first parade that I was not on the sidelines for, made me very aware that the story is often not what is in front of us, but behind the scenes.

May we never forget that those that wear the uniform...

2 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Yes, we should never forget those who wore the uniforms. They gave up an easy life for a challenging one and a dangerous one. Some left sweethearts, wives, mothers, and children. Some gave their lives. All, so we could enjoy the comforts and goods of the U.S.A.

Humble wife said...

DD- Exactly! Thanks DD!