"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Thieves take on Jen

All is well.

I went to El Paso TX with my Fourth on Friday.  The day was lovely.  We had the best time.  I was also buying a few groceries and needs for the farm.

I did not know that at some point right after we arrived in El Paso that someone was able to steal my debit card number etc. and this thief or thieves then basically raced me to spend money.  Since my daughter and I were  meandering and not really spending too much,  I lost.

Our final stop in El Paso was Albertson's, which is a grocery store.  I had $33.00 in groceries and when I went to pay the clerk told me that my card only paid $31.00.  I was immediately thinking WHAT?  I had cash as well so I paid the difference and called my Bill.

Our account was emptied.

I told Bill I wish I had been a person that spends every dime on stuff so that I could have been the one that spent the money, but I am not.

Fortunately, the thievery will not impact us minus waiting until Tuesday as Bill contacted the bank and only my debits have been removed.  Bill will clear it up and all is well.

But, I really have no idea how this happened.

I was in a clothing shop and no one really was near me aside from Fourth.  Then I checked out with those dangable chip reader things that are supposed to be more efficient.  The thieving began about the time we left the store, so I believe it happened at this store. 

I am really rethinking things and wonder how this happened.

Am I upset?  Yes.

But, I am also thankful that I was not personally attacked and robbed. 

Will I still go to El Paso with my daughter or alone?  Of course.

Will I try and do things so that my card information may not be able to be read/stolen...ABSOLUTELY.

I also am really leaning towards using cash when out and about and shopping more online.  It is far easier, less worry for me and items are delivered to the rural canyon where I live.  

As to the thief or thieves I wish to say this:  Enough.  You do not have a right to another's money.  Bill and I gladly help others out and will continue to do so, but this is our choice not a mandatory option. 

This is Jen, signing off saying shwew, what a wonderful day Friday was as I was able to spend the entire day with my adult daughter and there is no bank balance that even relates to that.

4 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I am so sorry this happened. But your attitude about it is awesome! I will pray for the person who did this.

Humble wife said...

Michelle, I prayed for them as well. As for attitude, I really did have a super day and I will not allow another to define my day, as that is for the Creator alone to do.

MammaBear said...

As you know, this recently happened to us. Almost $200. Thankfully, our bank refunded us our money. This type of crime is a good one to be in. Sure, some of the perps are caught, but it happens so frequently that it is impossible to pursue each and every case. One can live like a king while stealing from others. Thanks for your example and attitude!

Humble wife said...

Jennifer-it is crazy because our money was refunded as well. We all are paying for this crime with surcharges etc...sigh. As to example, I am seriously thankful all is well and I spent time with my precious Fourth.