"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, March 10, 2017

News and Letters from 1967

I received a box from my sister yesterday and since opening it I have been experiencing so many emotions.  The box and contents are from/about my parents and dates mostly from February 1967 until August 1967.  For those new to the blog, my dad was killed in Vietnam in April of 1967.

Here is the box and some of the contents including a newspaper article that accompanied the photo I have shared here on the blog, my dad's obituary and letters that dad had on him or in his personal effects when he died.  

I thought I would share a letter from my siblings to dad first.  You can see it on the bottom of the photo written in red marker.

Here is the letter.  My mom put together notes and things that the children had made.  
Cathy was 5, Liz and David 4, John 3, and Pete 2.

Aside from annotating things that it seems the kids told her, mom added nothing else.

This is from David.

From Cathy.

From Liz.

From John, and it seems Pete did not make anything for this letter.  It is dated March 21, 1967 and was 18 days before he was killed.  I think perhaps he may have received it about the time he died. Kind of a precious sweet thing to do for a daddy of five(soon six), to have little notes and letters from his wee ones.  As the farm blog is a journal of my life, I am going to be sharing more from the box as the days go by. A letter my mother wrote was read in Congress and I have the Congressional record with the letter in this box. 

This box is filled with items I have never seen including some photos of Dad. I am so amazed by what I am learning about my mother as she lived through the days before, during, and after dad's death.  I think a better word is humbled.  I hope in the following days as I share the contents of the box, I can reveal to the blogity world this woman.  She was truly a strong woman and of course I will share my dad and this time it will be from the words of those around him, including his commander, peers, and such. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you my beautiful :)
Bill

Humble wife said...

Oh my Bill. I love you too, and I needed this comment today. LOVE love love love you!!!

Patti said...

You are a wonderful example for all your family, just like your mom.
I look forward to hearing more about your dad. Freedom isn't free and I thank you for his service. You all paid the ultimate price.
I know God will carry you through this wonderful and difficult discovery process.

Humble wife said...

Patti-thank you so much, as I am thankful I have a place to share dad's and mom's story as I believe it is one that needs to be told.
I really do appreciate your comment(((hugs))).