"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

February in New Mexico

I have been thinking a good deal about the difference in how February was when I was a young girl in the Midwest verses February in New Mexico.  I really had no idea that people enjoyed sunshine in February.  We lived off Lake Erie so winters were always impacted by lake affect snow and were dreary. As a girl I ice skated on the roads, built snow forts, snowmen, and had snow fights.  I wore bread bags over my socks in my boots and enjoyed the snow a great deal. But the gloomy feel always bothered me.

I did not realize how much the lack of sunshine bothered me until I moved out west.  If it is overcast or gloomy here(rare) I notice.  It is so unusual that it sticks out.  Fortunately February in New Mexico is lovely.  Spring is making its presence and although we may still have another cold spell warm days are already here.  We have been in the high 60s to mid 70s for a few weeks and it is wonderful.

The quail are back and I know that they are prepping their nests for the newest ones and it is so cute to see the wee quail racing across the farm.  I am looking out my window as I type and I have been watching the pyrrhuloxia borrow the grassy bottoms to my planters. Nests are being shored up by all of the feathered friends. 

I have been seeing bees at the water troughs for a few weeks now and am thankful once again that we have bees to help with our gardens and trees. 

February in New Mexico is the hurry up and get things prepped as hot weather is just around the corner.  February reminds me that potholder season is coming:
as well as rattlesnake season:
bobcat season(well we are in that right now):
and soon the migration of the tarantula season:
will be upon us.  I love New Mexico, and if you are new to the blog this may be new information~but I share this all the time.  I love February in New Mexico as it reminds me of the other 11 months and how much I love them as well!

4 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

60 degrees here in the mid-Atlantic and they are treating the roads for tonight's snow...

Humble wife said...

Crazy after seeing the news this morning! Snow!! :)

Sharon Holmes said...

I have been gone off line more than on line for the last few weeks.... But catching back up I see Bobcat season. Just letting you know that the big redheaded one of mine and his girlfriend have moved in to a place up the road from you and were babysitting my dogs for me while we were out of town. The day we were getting back a bob cat that seems to be living somewhere around their place got one of my fur babies. Watch out.

Humble wife said...

Oh Sherry, I am sooooo sorry. This has been a bad year as our pup got a good slash from the bobcat. Not mountain lion size but good bobcat size. We haven't let the chickies freerange for a few months as even in the day the cat has been out and about.