"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, June 30, 2016

My Day Today

 I am canning today.  I took some photos of the books I use when I preserve foods.  Although it is nice to race online and watch a tutorial or read someone's blog about how to can, it is best to have a book or two to help you through the process.
This is the second copy of this book as it was my go to canning book for information when I began.  The doodles are compliments of one of the goof troop.
 This is a Ball canning book that has a ton more recipes and it is another well used book.
 I have begun to pickle more and more and I found this book and if you look at the top, I have pages tabbed with pink.  I love reading about the process and things always remind me of historical food preservation and the methods used by those long ago.
 This is a newer book and it has modern recipes on old favorites.  This book has a great jerky recipe I have tweaked a bit to use with elk.

The final book I am going to show you I picked up for $5.99 a year or so ago and I am going to try a corn salsa recipe tweaked a bit for the southwest. 
Often when I visit with people they reveal that they have fears about canning whether pressure canning or water bath canning.  I tell them I did as well, but the best way to get over a fear* is to dive in and begin through trials.  Read as much as possible and perhaps have a canning buddy for the first go to ensure that all works out.  I feel pretty confident with canning and sometimes will have mistakes.  Recently I canned pinto beans and they did not seal for whatever reason whether my lids were old or whatnot.  It is fine to make mistakes and then do the best thing~toss out the mistake, roll up your sleeves and carry on.  The great thing is that you can reuse your jars and some have lids that can be reused so the costs to you is very little if you either raise your item to can, find it at a farmers market or on sale for a great price.

* Disclaimer~this step of overcoming fear does not apply to rattlesnakes.  Shudder!!!!

No comments: