"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What I learned from Hillary Clinton

Yes, it is a somewhat strange title for this blogger, but it is sincere.  You see, I did learn a good deal from Hillary Clinton.  I recall the presidential campaign of 1992.  It wasn't the first of my adult life, but it was the one that left a lasting impression.  You see, I grew up during the 1970's and 1980's where women were repeatedly told that they could do anything and didn't need a man.  My mother pushed so hard for all the girls to not only get an education, but to become something in the working world.

I had been married a bit over four years when Bill Clinton was elected president.  I  was in a struggle with myself, whether I was lost and nothing because I was a stay home wife and then mother of two.  Almost daily, I would think about what I should be doing if I wasn't at home.  I felt like I was a slacker because I wasn't bringing any income into the family.  I was asked often what did I do~in reference to a job, and I would softly and almost ashamedly answer, "I stay home with the children."

Then Hillary Clinton began to support her husband's campaign and was quoted as saying:
 I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was fulfill my profession.  March 26, 1992  ABC Nightline 1
When I heard that sound blurb over and over I felt an awakening.  You see, two things happened.  The anger from those that stayed at home was crazy, but many supported Hillary's comments.  For me, I had clarity.  In a flippant remark Hillary made me realize that if women, mocked the importance or value of a stay home wife and mother, times were sad.  I mean, I understand that many women must work, but if one is staying home, the job she is doing is incredible.  A mother can influence the next generation and create loving, caring, respectful, functioning members of society.

I took the time to really think about my role.  I took the time to see it as an opportunity and a blessing.  One that many women aren't fortunate enough to be able to do.  Hillary Clinton's offhanded comment made me evaluate the incredible gift I was given to be a mother, and then one that could stay home with her children.

Another comment Hillary Clinton made during the presidential campaign of her husband was:
You know, I'm not sitting her here-some little woman standing by my man like Tammy Wynette.  I 'm sitting here because I love him, and respect him, and I honor what he's been through and what we've been together.  1992 60 Minutes 2

I did not listen to Tammy Wynette's music, but this statement came off pretty callous.   The song is about loving your man in the good times, the bad times and showing the world how you feel.  It is a seemingly typical country song.  I love my Bill.  I thought of Hillary Clinton mocking a woman that stood by her man yet, Hillary stood by a man that is an alleged sex offender.I thought Hillary's comment was very sarcastic.  I value marriage and if this means that at times my husband and his imperfect ways are forgiven by me, then I am the better person.  You see, my husband forgives my imperfect ways as well.  I truly do stand by my husband.  

In Hillary's concession speech in 2008 she said:  
Although we weren't able to shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it's got about 18 million cracks in it and the light is shining though like never before, filling us all with the hope and the sure knowledge that the path will be a little easier next time. 2008 Concession Speech.4
Hillary Clinton has taught me a lot during her years in public service.  She is a woman that is and has been in many powerful positions that still suggests that women are fighting that glass ceiling.  I wonder about this all the time.  She has been an attorney, the First Lady, Secretary of State, US senator, presidential candidate, and now once again presidential candidate.  How can the glass ceiling still be there? What I have learned from this, is that Hillary will never value being a woman, and will see life in what men have and no matter what women accomplish that they will never be good enough.  I challenge this.  I have a very small public pedigree.  I am not known by very many people. I have been a housewife for over half of my life and stayed home and raised my children, and I value being a woman. 

I am a woman.  I am not the same as man, and a man is not the same as me.  Yet, as a woman I am quite compatible to a man, and this man is quite compatible to me.  We compliment each other.  Yes, my Bill compliments me, and I him.  We divided the goals we had and each of us work towards accomplishing those goals.  I do not think in terms of glass ceilings~EVER.  I appreciate Hillary Clinton because I made note of her attitude towards men and women and that I have lived the opposite way.  I did not do this in a hateful way, but in a way that her actions clarified my role as a woman.  

I look at the times I heard the above quotes from Hillary Clinton and I am thankful.  I appreciate that I was able to really think about my role and although Hillary Clinton was not the reason I stayed home, she did make me really appreciate the great blessing that I had been granted.  

My post will close with a sincere thanks that I have been able to be at home, and be the one that was blessed enough to raise my children.  

1 Kreig, Gregory.  12 Quotes from Hillary Clinton Shows her Remarkable Defiance. April 22, 2015. Policy Mic. Web. April, 5, 2016.
Kreig, Gregory.  12 Quotes from Hillary Clinton Shows her Remarkable Defiance. April 22, 2015. Policy Mic. Web. April 5, 2016.
3  Nolte, John. Rap Sheet: The Women Who Claim to be Victims of Bill and Hillary Clinton. Breitbart.com. Web. April 5, 2016. 
4. Yes, We can. Hillary Clinton. TheGuardian.com June2, 2008. Web. April 19, 2016.

6 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I am sorry. I just can't stand that women!!

Humble wife said...

DD- Im not sure you read the post. If you did you understand that her type is not someone I embraced.

Patti said...

Really awesome post. I get so bogged down by my opinion of her, and I never saw what you saw. Thank you. I have not had the opportunity to be a stay at home mom, but I do see how valuable it is to all concerned. Job well done.

Humble wife said...

Thank you Patti!

ProudHillbilly said...

Stay at home mom - hardest job evah!

Humble wife said...

PH-LOL, I'll add parenting is the hardest job evah!! ;)