"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Using a Pressure Canner to

process pinto beans.  Using a pressure canner was a bit scary when I first began.  I did not understand the process and worried it would explode.  Like anything you do for the first time-you understand more and get more efficient the more you do it.  I tried to snap a photo throughout my process so I could share step by step. 
I have about 1.5 lbs of pinto beans.  The firs thing I did
was gather the tools and begin to sort the beans. You need
to do this to look for bad beans, rocks, or even clumps 
of soil.
These are the canning tools I use.  From left to right
the funnel, jar lifter, ladle, the pink thing I use to release
air bubbles, the tool to measure head-space, and the 
magnetic lid lifter. 
 
Here's a photo of the beans once sorted. For pinto
beans I only use beans, salt, and water.  This allows
for me to cater the beans for any recipe I may have.
 
The pot for boiling hot water, canning jars, rings and lids,
and the pressure canner. 
I do not precook the beans. If this is different than the book
states, or than how you do beans, please continue to can
the way you have done.  I rinse the beans once sorted then
soak for about 4 hours.  They nearly double in size and that
is how I know I am ready to start canning.
I boil water to pack in beans in. 
 
I wash the jars and keep sterile in a warming oven.
 
Once the jars are ready, the water is boiling, and the pressure
canner  is boiling, I am ready.  I put about 3 inches of water in
the pressure canner and because my water is so hard I add some
vinegar as well to the water, to prevent water stains on my jars.

I work in two jar batches and fill the jars about half
full of the beans, about a tsp of salt, then add the boiling water 
leaving about 1 inch of head-space.  I then use the pink tool and
work around the inside edges of the jar to release any air
bubbles. I wipe the rim down and apply a lid, then ring.
To prep the lids I boil a bit of water with the lids in it.
I do not over tighten the rings but twist til not loose.

I repeat until I have the jars filled and then put them in
the pressure canner.  I make sure the jars are not touching
each other nor the pressure canner. 
I close the lid, allow for the steam to come out of the vent
for about 10 minutes. Then I put on the pressure10lbs.
Once the valve pops and the pounds gauge wiggles for about
 5 minutes I begin timing.  Your altitude is your key so pints are about
75 minutes plus altitude adjustments.

Once the time is finished, turn off the burner and allow 
to cool.

Open the canner, and take the jars out. I let them rest on a hand
towel overnight.  
Here they are this morning. I take the rings off and date the lids.
 
 I put them on the shelf and begin the next bean canning for 
the month~

I am making baked beans next!

2 comments:

mallardhen said...

Thank You, Thank You I have asked several people how to can beans and they said "why would you want to do this?, they will be OK forever" well one of my reasons to be prepared just in case, and the other is it saves me time in the long run. So happy you saved my day.

Humble wife said...

Mallard-I am glad that this helps. I use beans a good deal and prefer mine to the store bought. I also keep on hand dry beans too!! This saves a step in case of a crises~so a few canned beans will be quite useful!