"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Before and After

Over the years we have grown gourds on the farm. I let them season for a year or so and then begin crafting one thing or another. This year I have several gourd projects in the works and I thought I would share one that I finished.

This is from another gourd project but I wanted to share
how I cut a gourd as I opted not to get any fancy tools.
I use a push pin and follow the gourd round.  Once I have
pin holes all around it, I cut the top off.  It is very easy this
way.
 
Then I clean out the inside and sand the edges.
I save all the seeds and even a year or two later
they always grow.  From this gourd I got 252 seeds!

My base coat was yellow and I use low cost acrylic paints.
 
Here is the finished bowl, view 1.
 
view 2
view 3
view 4
view 5


My inspiration is the Talavera dishes that I have.
There is a small store in Tularosa, NM, and one in
El Paso, TX where I find these dishes very inexpensive.
I love the bold, bright colors so I decided why not
paint a gourd in a similar style!

Here are a few other gourd projects I have made:



The heads are from the tops of the gourd that was left over
when I cut the bowl shapes out. I am a thrifty person and knew
I was going to use them.  I ended up making Farmer and his
Wife!


Here is another gourd bowl. I let the shape determine the
mouth of the bowl and I really like this piece a lot!

 

4 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I really like those gourd projects. Really look like expensive pottery.

Humble wife said...

Thank you DD-I have really enjoyed creating them!

Susan said...

Great idea!

Humble wife said...

Susan~thanks!!