"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, January 4, 2016

Eleven Years Ago

Bill had his accident.
Instead of writing about the accident, I thought I would write about how life has been since January 1, 2005.

We moved.  It was a very hard thing to do, but we needed to move for opportunity as we lived in a very remote small community where there were few and far between jobs.  We knew at some point Bill would begin a new career path and we wanted to be in a place where that was possible.

We went through tremendous financial struggles.  We bought a very run down place in the middle of a gazillion mesquite thorny bushes and began to scratch out a future.  I would buy the waste food box from the grocery.  At first I would say it was for the animals, but at times, I would salvage foods that were still okay for stews etc, and use them for us.  We worked on a small ranch to earn animals at the end of our job mucking out pens.  It was crappy...just having a bit of fun now~sorry it is helpful to laugh when life is hard.  I thrifted for everything, whether it was clothes, furniture, or everything else.  I learned about the desert and what was edible and what was not.  I learned water preservation, food preservation, and to be honest~preservation of us. 

We sought out meaning.  We found Truth.  We found the Creator and what life was truly to be about.  We earnestly began studying His word as if life depended up it. 

We raised pre-teens and teens to adulthood.  Anyone that has teens or has raised teens, understands that this too is a tremendous experience that one must definitely find humor in.   Through everything, we homeschooled.  One served in the military and was sent to Afghanistan, and then became a law enforcement officer.  One chose the other side of law enforcement and is working in court system. One was a volunteer fireman from the age of 17 then became a fireman.  One began working in the ER and has discovered  a career.  All live within 15 miles of Bill and I.  Two are married and these two sons have their own sons now.  One has a special love and the baby, well she is figuring out exactly who she is. 

We raised a zoo of animals.  We learned everything we could about doing this low-cost, no-cost.  We have had over 100 critters at one time on the farm.  Now the critter population is down to 9.  We are changing gears a bit and thinking of getting a few horses.  Life does change over time.  I am requesting miniature ponies out of fairness for me they will be ponies and average for my height!  Bill has always wanted a horse and so this is the year.

We are empty nesters.  What a funny term.  I will tell you what this really should be called~date night every nighters.  Yep. It is dating, romance, sweetness, and silly goofiness all over again.  What was seen as a negative from many we knew early on, has actually turned out to be pretty neat now.  We had our first baby just before our first anniversary so life has always been about family and not just the two of us.  Now I understand.  It is about us now.  I love each step of the journey we have been on, and especially this new phase we are in.

We have come to realize that we can make and do anything.  If we did not have money for something we pondered, researched, and learned how to make it, or make do.  This has brought out my creative edge and I am and have been busy more for relaxation creating than the beginning which was for necessity.  The woodworking skills that transformed our windows is nothing less than impressive...all because we could not run down to buy or have another put in prefab frames.  Pioneer life isn't over if one stops and reflects upon how it can be made instead of looking for a ready made solution. It allows for uniqueness in a time where being different is not a good thing.  For us...being different is awesome!

My mom died.

It's strange because I was going through thinking about how far we have come because we chose not to be defeated when times got tough. We chose to not give in when the world turned upside down, then I paused, and wrote those three words...my mom died.  That was a hard year.  My son was in Afghanistan and my mom was dying.  I was torn and traveled across the country in the blizzard of 2011 and spent the last several weeks with my mother before she died.  My son arrived home from Afghanistan two days later and I drove from Indiana to NY to see him.  It was ever so emotional.  I went from grief to joy and didn't really allow myself to grieve for a long while later.  It was and has been a strange period of time in my life.  I have always known that loved ones die as my dad died before I was born.  I never thought that life was easy or that hardships don't happen because of my father being killed in Vietnam, but I was not ready for mom to die.  I confess I wish she was here to see my grandbabies. I wish she was here to met the daughters-in-law, and I really wish she was able to get to know my children as adults, as I know she would love seeing who they have become.

With that I will close my mini review of the past 11 years.  It is not all inclusive and certainly leaves out even incredibly important things.  It is only a  post looking back to allow for a continued forward pressing motion.

Happy 2016!

6 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I lost both my parents and a son. But life has to go on for the living. Those who have passed would want it that way.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I remember hearing of your struggles thru your blog and I look at how far you have come thru it all. Huggles.

kymber said...

aw Spicy - this post brought tears to my eyes. people can read this post and sympathize and empathize - but those difficult times you ACTUALLY LIVED THROUGH. it's very easy to make a list of things or paragraphs, but actually living through it all was not easy at all! the fear, the sacrifices, the not knowing...very scary things to have to live through.

but you did it! and you did it with beauty and grace and with love in your heart - love for your Lord and love for your family!

you have always known that you have been a great source of inspiration to me! when jam and i first started on this prepping journey it was because of reading your blog, right from the very beginning and then meeting you on the preppers network. and chatting in the chatroom. and some very supportive emails that you sent. the information that you provided here on your blog, on the APN and CPN gave me and jam the boot we needed to say "the heck with this - we're learning to grow our own food and moving to my island". it only took us a few years and then we landed here in the middle of nowhere. i truly understand how hard it was for you guys moving to the desert and somehow managing to build the beautiful homestead that you have!

family wipes, deodorant, shampoo - just a few of the crazy things you have taught me. but the thing that you taught me that i appreciate the most - you taught me to look despair, fear and hardship straight in the eye and say "no way buddies. you are not knocking me down!". and you taught me how to do it with grace.

i have become a better person through knowing you and i sincerely thank you for that! we don't have to have 10hr phonecalls every day - i always know where you are and if i need you - i know that i can just yell and you'll be there!

this comment probably should have gone into an email but i want your readers to know that you have affected so many lives through all of your work here on the blog, the preppers network, your ministry and sending out free bibles. you have raised incredibly intelligent children with a strong work ethic and a love of family (and they are all so gorgeous!!!).

i am so very sorry that your mother will not meet her great grandbabies here on earth, but she will meet them! and you and Bill and Bill's parents will make up for her - you know that! and you will tell them all of the stories about her!

now that you are empty nesters and still so much in love - oh the fun you guys are going to have! and if you are true pioneers, which i believe you to be, Bill can ride his horse and you can ride your pony, hitch up a wagon full of supplies and come visit us here on the island - bahahhaah!

i just looked it up - it's only 3,141 miles! if you guys left this week you could be here by august and that's our favourite month for summer!!!

i am sending you so much love, to you, and all of the DN Crew! your friend,
kymber
(please re-read this comment a few times - it's how i really feel about you!)

Humble wife said...

DD-(Hugs), I totally understand. I am sorry for your losses but agree life must go on.

Michelle-thank you and yep we have *known* eachother a good while haven't we? (huggles) right back at ya!

Kymber-with tears in my eyes, I must take a pause and just send you a wonderful thanks for your ever so sweet comment. I appreciate all that you have said and love that you get that life here on the farm wasn't always easy but doggone it~it has been worth it. I only wish we all did live closer...but a trip should be planned as it would be so fun!!!! I wish my comment would be more direct and clear. I am a bit choked up at your comment and can only say, thank you and love you and your cutie pie....sharing made all the difference as it was cathartic, having people respond was powerful, but to hear that because of us, someone changed IS something that makes me speechless. xxxoxoxoxoxxoox

kymber said...

it WAS because of you and all that you shared! and we will be eternally grateful for THAT!

u no hoo
xoxoxoxox

Humble wife said...

Kymber-------((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((huggles)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))!
In case you didn't get the emotions in my previous comment. I love you and your cutie pie, you have made the times that were toughest brighter, all because when sharing you cared. XOXOXOXOXOXOXOOOXOXO