"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thankful

Thankful post 3

I am thankful to have been a stay home wife and mom.  This is something that I chose to do 26 years ago.   I have loved this role.  I am not writing this to debate those that see this as suppressive, or to suggest that those that must work or chose to work are horrible.  I am thankful that I have been able to be home all these years.  I am thankful that with Bill, we have been able to really embrace thrift, innovation, and creativity to afford for me to be one on the homefront.

I am thankful that 159,000+  and 114,000+ are workable mileage numbers in our vehicles.  When we buy a new car, I am thankful that 92,000 miles was like the shiniest, newest model on a car lot.  I am thankful that new to us is not a bad thing to love.

I am thankful that million dollar views don't always have to come with a million dollar price tag.


This is the view from my front porch.  Pretty awesome isn't it?


 I am thankful that using a pressure canner is not as scary as it originally sounded all those years ago
I love v-8 and this is my own veg juice

 I am thankful that I was able to homeschool my children.  Over the years while being their primary, middle school, and high school teacher I worried I was not doing enough.  Now that they are adults I am able to realize that my worries were for naught. 

I am thankful that pumpkins are very adaptable and thrive in the desert. 
pumpkin in the mesquite
the pumpkin is almost in the center of the image


Can you see the lovely green pumpkin growing in the mesquite bush?  This was about 5' up and by the time we harvested it, the pumpkin weighed about 30lbs.  I am thankful that we had goats at the time, and that I fed the goats slops.  I had a pumpkin in my food storage that had gone bad and tossed it to the goaties.  Well in July we began seeing bright vibrant plants growing in the mesquite and when we went out to see what they were, we discovered pumpkin plants all over the property.  With the heavy rains in June we had seeds spread about and by November we harvested almost 40 pumpkins!  This year we ended up with about ten and I did not plant any pumpkins~instead I toss a pumpkin out in March and allowed nature to work for me!

To anyone new to the blog...I am the biggest fan of pumpkin!! Seriously. I love pumpkin pie and instead of cake have pie for my annual birthday treat (in June).



 
Please feel free to share things you are thankful for!

2 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

I am thankful for Jesus. I am thankful for my family, for grace, for fresh mercies.

I am thankful for fellow believers to walk through life with, and I am thankful for blogging. I have met so many wonderful friends who I wouldn't know until eternity!

Happy Thanksgiving Jen. Thankful for you and your heart for others.

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Deanna-thank you for your amazing list! Without Christ we have nothing.
I am thankful for you and your kindness to me!!