"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fence Etiquette


3 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

Most "country folks" know that rule. Of course bump gates are easier, don't have to get out of your vehicle.

Glenn B said...

I remember that very well. I learned it when I was in the Border Patrol many, many, many moons ago. I also learned, from the disrespect shown by others, that to disregard that simple bit of etiquette was a surefire and quick way to piss off a rancher and that disregarding it enough times was a way to make bitter enemies; however I learned from my own actions that following it got you a good deal of respect.

Humble wife said...

DD-I visited Roosevelt's Little White House just prior to my marriage and oh the bump gate...Bill and I talk about this often yet, the need to secure the gate is something important.

Glenn-yep, it is a surefire way to frustrate anyone with critters needing to remain where they are...whether varmints to be kept out, or the farm stock to be kept in. You can bet you were appreciated for the simple act of respecting the fence. The message of what to do, is exactly in how you found it!