"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Did you ever have

a pity party all for yourself? I have been having one for too long.  In fact, it is time to take down the pity party balloons and streamers.  You see, pretty much any time I begin to feel woebegone, I think about my mom.  Now I am anchored in my faith but at times, a human face to connect directly to me is necessary.

While I am thinking about her, I thought I would share about her again.  To my readers~my mom passed away in 2011.

My mom was the baby of 8 children.  She had a nephew born a few months before she was born.  Crazy, but true.  She grew up in Ohio in a devout Catholic family, and planned to become a nun.  She had either scarlet or rheumatic fever (can't remember which one), and at that time was not allowed to become a nun.  I really do not know exactly why but this is now story with a few interesting angles that remain as they are!  Instead of becoming a nun, she got her degree and headed south to a Mission School in Texas.  She was set up on a blind date by another teacher, and within 6 months married my dad, who was an officer in the Army.
My parents
Weeks before my parents first anniversary, they had their first baby. ( I am my mother's daughter~ I did beat my parents by a few weeks with First. )

Days before my parents second anniversary, they had twins...yep. Three kids in two years.

Two months after their third anniversary, they had another.  Four kids in three years.

In case you expected # 5...so soon... not so.  Number five made his entrance 4 months into the fourth year that they were married.  52 months after my parents married...they had 5 children.

Then a huge break.  Mom and Dad made several home movies during this break.  I remember seeing one of them when I was a teen.  They were filled with the antics of two young parents with five cutie pies.

Then after 6 years 8 months...not another baby-no.  Sadly my Dad was killed in Vietnam.

Mom was  a widow the first time at 29.
Mom had to identify my father's remains while pregnant with me.

My pity party ends upon this thought.

6 years and 10 months after my parents married, I was born.


After I was born, mom moved back home to be near her family. 
When I was three she remarried.

My step-dad died the first week of my Jr. High years.


My mom became a widow for the second time at 41. 
And with my step-dad came a sister the same age as the oldest, so now the ages for the first four...are doubles, and she had one more babe.  My little sister was 4 when my step-dad died.  It is quite hard to think about so many kids that never really got to know their dads.  It is harder to realize that my mom raised us the way she did, for the most part, alone.

She had 7 teens at one time. 

She never remarried again.

For her remaining 31 years she was fortunate enough to see lots of grandbabies born.
18 to be exact.
Her legacy continues.

The grandbabies are now having babies.
14 to be exact.
And her legacy continues.

My mother did not want a funeral.  Instead those of us that could make it, celebrated a wake the night before she died.  I'd like to believe her last moments were smiling and laughing because boy do my siblings and the grandkids get loud.  I was as quite as a church mouse~I promise.

My mother did not want a burial nor headstone.  I think this was loyalty to the kids.  Where should she be buried?  Next to which dad?  I understand ever so much.

Therefore, when I have a pity party, I must dismiss it. You see a woman that did and had so much happen to her and yet she continued on with great success.  NO ONE aside from her own, consider her passing,  nor what she did here on earth, yet, without her...well never mind.  I do not need consider that possibility.

Moms always have a way of making one feel better and have that ability to change a pity party into something more.  That something more for me, is to live and continue to be the best wife and mom I can be, for mom.


5 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Sometimes I have a pity party too. Huggles!

Dizzy-Dick said...

That was quite a tribute to your mother. She must have been a wonderful woman.

Mrs.Rabe said...

Your mother's story is amazing. Strength in difficulties. God blessing her with children, and grandchildren, and perhaps great-grandchildren?

Keep looking to Him, Jen. That is where truth lies.

Grace and Peace
Deanna

Anonymous said...

Hugs...
-LizinNY
(ps. you inspire me & motivate me so very much!)

Humble wife said...

Michelle-thank you!

DD-Yes, she was and the more time passes the more I realize how wonderful she was.

Deanna-amen!!thank you!

Liz-awww thank you so much my friend!!!