I love seeing the possibilities in things. Whenever I have a few minutes of time, I end up creating something. Recently I began working on some of the gourds I have from last year.
These were gourds from a few years ago. I loved seeing them
green awaiting a new purpose.
I did not make any of them into a birdhouse~it seems
like I avoid the obvious in nearly everything.
Over the years, I have learned how to cut dried gourds.
The first year was a direct cut with a knife and it wasn't
Since then I discovered that a series of small holes make way
for the easiest cut of the gourd.
These are my current projects.
On the gourd in the back, you can see I already put a piece
of baling wire through it.
The front left gourd I dotted for a scallop cut~stay tuned
for a post using the scallop as I have an idea that's in the works.
The front right gourd is pictured in the previous photo.
This is from a few years ago.
It was ever so difficult to cut the gourd this way. There
are a ton of seeds to grow more gourds!
The top piece ended up...
as Mrs. Double Nickel's head.
Then I used another gourd top to make Mr. Double Nickel.
The bodies were made out of baling wire
and the clothes were from old clothes of Bill's and mine.
This project was to show how cast offs could be remade.
Even the tops of the gourds made this perfect, which
originally I thought were garbage.
The bottom piece became a bowl which
is pictured here. In fact, both black and white
bowls are the bottom gourds.
This is the bottom of the scallop cut gourd from above.
I am still in the process of painting it and hope to finish it soon.
Even now, looking at the gourd bowl above, I know it is only about
1/4 of the way finished and yet, I see the possibilities and I smile.