"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Why I Blog Part 672 (from the draft files)*

I have written before about why I blog, but I actually realized another reason that I blog. As my children go on their way to their lives, they will move out. When I die they will know everything about me and more so, because I journal my life, my thoughts, and my feelings towards them.

My mother lived a life that I knew a bit about. I am ashamed that I never took the time to ask her more although much of her past she closed off, which I believe was because of dad's death.  Most of the photos of her life and their marriage I only saw recently on my sister's wall on Face*book. My younger sister has a large box of photos of mom's childhood and her marriage. I look forward to more photos being scanned so I can save them here and share my mom as I get to really know her.

I suppose I am feeling a bit guilty for moving West and residing out here with my family. Time is precious and I understand that my children will move out and on in their lives. In fact I pray that they are as blessed as me in their marriages and families. I suppose that is my own round about therapy in my post.

Anyhow, I blog because I want to share my simple life in an honest way. I want my kids to have access, and as we are in times of technology my simple blog will be a time capsule for grandchildren and beyond to get to know me long after I am gone. As I see photos of my mom for the first time as a young girl and teen I will share them here...as it is a window to me through her.

Mom was the youngest of 8 children. This is mom with her sister Jane, who died in 1976ish. They were very close and I remember Aunt Jane visiting us often. Her son, Charlie looked more like my mom as he was freckled from head to foot. One of my sister's has Jane as a middle name because of Aunt Jane.

My mom and four of her siblings. Mom is on the left(age 5-6) Larry, Jack, Jane and Mary in the back row.

This was my mom's dog Lucky. The very last day we talked she spoke about Lucky, and I was so glad to see an actual photo of Lucky.

I want my kids to know about me and who I am(was). I hope that I can share with them more and in turn share a bit of America in my telling as I grew up during the Cold War, raised by a woman that was born during the Depression. I want my kids to know that my dog, the one I loved so much was named Pepper. Funny thing is that mom saw a car from the kitchen window, toss something into a ditch about a mile from the house. She drove down to see what it was, and discovered that a bag of garbage had been tossed and it was moving. Someone threw a puppy away in a ditch hoping it would drown. Sad, but thrilling as I came home from Kindergarten and Mom and Pepper came around the hallway and my life changed forever!


It's funny when we live our lives we forget that simple moments are memorable and worthy of sharing. I pray I can share my life in a way that those that read it feel that they know more of who I am.
 

Jennifer


* I wrote this in June of 2011.  Not sure why I did not publish this post.  I was speaking with one of my sister's and she told me when she misses Mom she sends a text to each of the siblings.  It is so surreal to live so long without one parent, and then lose the other...just when my children are marrying and beginning their lives. 

2 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

Jen,

I think you are doing a wonderful thing, knowing your children and letting them truly know you!

We cannot change the past, or choices made but we can move forward, and be the best parents and in laws, and grandparents we can be, by God's grace.

Thank you for sharing about your Mom.

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Thanks Deanna