"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

How do YOU pronounce

the word sword?

Do you pronounce it soared,

or do you pronounce it like swore making the sw blend sound?

9 comments:

Dizzy-Dick said...

I pronounce it like "soared". Does that tell me what part of the country I was originally from? I wrote a blog one time about how different words are used for different meanings at different locations throughout the States.

Humble wife said...

Dizzy-I was thinking that this is a regional word as well. I have thought about it before, but last night my Bill said the word and brought it to the forefront. BTW I am originally from the Midwest, and my Bill from the west. I will reveal who says it which way...in a while.

Mrs.Rabe said...

I was born and raised in Southern California. I say 'Soared."

This is fun. Can't wait to see the results.

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Deanna-it's interesting about the word isn't it? I am wondering as well.

kristine barr said...

I worked for an Indian Dr. He was from India. As you know, All Punjabi men carry swords. Most of them are decorative, but they could prick you good. He said sword. I alway thought it sounded funny.

Tewshooz said...

I was born and raised on Long Island, NY and I say soawwd. My dad, who spoke English with a German accent said Sword.

Humble wife said...

Kristine-the sw sword sound is an interesting way of hearing it isn't it?


Tew-I didn't factor in the NY accent! How neat!! The British and German accent adds another factor....way interesting.

russell1200 said...

Soared. In the South the "w" will often replace the "r" and it may become a two syllable word.

Humble wife said...

Russell-it is amazing how many ways we say the same word!!