"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, February 16, 2014

End of Week Review

As the week comes to a close I have a few thoughts about the past week. 

We did our taxes the other day.  Oh boy...we were asked if we have medical insurance.  I sat there and smiled and thought about a few things.  Every single person that has ever been has something in common with me.  They have or will die, as will I.  Death has no requirements aside from the fact that you must be alive first.  Most Americans die in their 70's to 80's.  Some die as a brand new model and others are so wrinkled, so worn, so old and haggard that you wonder what they haven't done while here.  With or without insurance, I am going to die.  If I smoke, drink, and live a rough life,  I am not guaranteed an early death or a sickly life, any more than if I eat write, abstain from cigarettes and alcohol means that I will live a long and healthy life. 

I have one place that I rest in.  I have one place that my confidence is placed in, and that is God.   When the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) rolled off the tongues of our elected officials, promises were made about insuring the 15 million or so that did not have health care by making it affordable to all.  Now many Americans seemed to like this promise not realizing that making this affordable to some is impossible without increasing prices to the rest.   But that was even incorrect.  Now we have seen at least 5+ million Americans that have lost their current insurance (remember the if you like your insurance you can keep your insurance promise), and still many of those that were uninsured before Obamacare are still uninsured.  I have shared before that America owes me nothing yet I owe America the promise that I accept that I have the right to pursue happiness

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. 

I take this very serious.  I live a life that many worldwide would love to have.  Now I am not bragging or suggesting that I am all that.  In fact, if you have read this blog for very long, you know that I am far from having room to brag too much, and heck, I am a middle aged woman living in the scrub desert of New Mexico and I am just goofy enough to be convinced that I live on a farm.

I pray we will be able to return to some common sense in this nation and STOP this crazy notion that those that are not in the 1% bracket are in some way cheated.  Enough already.  America is an incredible nation and many of us that have been born here have no idea how great she truly is.  I promise you that my in-laws understood what a grand beacon she was.   As to forcing Americans to pay for another...take a moment and read what is under my header photo.  We will always have the poor, and taking from another to give to the poor seems to create a dependent mentality instead of a mentality of striving to improve one's life.  (Please remember I am not against charitable giving, caring for the elderly, the widows or the orphans AND my farm family lives in a bracket that is on the low end of financial wealth-although we have not seen ourselves as poor).

~Now on to something different!  I love a verse in Proverbs that I thought I would share. 
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6
As my children continue to grow(funny to say as they are all adults), this verse truly is powerful.  The above verse doesn't suggest that your children will be perfect.  At times, one may wonder as a parent if the prayers, the training, and faith placed in God, the family, and parenting, are for naught.  I am  most certainly one of those parents.  But I never have given up.  I pray for my children daily, and sometimes many times a day.  I have prayed for my children's spouses, long before we knew who they are, and I have never stopped training them.  Now though it is much easier.  My life has been the first example.  I show through example that I am not perfect, yet work daily to live a life for God.

As this day is coming to an end, I can say that every single week, Bill and I spend time with all of our children.  It is now like a date with each of them as they are grown and have full time jobs, go to college, and for two of them have significant others that are now significant to Bill and I.   Today, we had time with our oldest and his sweetie pie.  I am still smiling at how I am seeing Proverbs 22:6 is correct and for that I am thankful.  It is never too late to be the example to your children.  It is never too late to share Truths in their lives, and even more important it is never too late for you to discover Truth.  If you would like a Bible sent to you from the Double Nickel Farm as a gift from us, to be able to find the precious truth of the Word, please leave a comment here.

No comments: