"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Time to clean the house

Double Nickel Farm style. 
Double Nickel Farm Cleaners

 Toilet Cleaner
1 cup Borax
15 drops of a citrus oil~I love orange oil
Sprinkle in toilet, don't distribute.
Wait five minutes
add 1 cup vinegar and scrub!

Scouring Powder
1 cup baking soda
6 drops of fresh essential oil-I use tea tree oil.
 

Cleaning Wipes Mixture
2 cups distilled water
2 oz Castile soap
10 drops essential oil~I use peppermint oil.

I use this on my sinks.  It is a wonderful cleaner.


 Oven Maintenance
2 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp Castile soap
10 -15 drops of a citrus oil
1/2 cup hot distilled water
 Preheat oven to 250 F for 15 minutes.
Turn off and leave open.

Combine all in a spray bottle, then add hot water
shake well.

Spray on preheated oven that has been left open
wait 30 minutes and wipe clean.

I could not believe how amazing this cleaning works!


Glass Cleaner
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1/2 cup distilled water
8 drops fresh citrus oil

Use also on faucets, appliances, etc!


Carpet Freshener
1 cup baking soda
15 drops of your favorite essential oil
Sprinkle on carpet, let sit for a few minutes
then vacuum


All Purpose Cleaner
1 quart distilled water
2 drops rosemary essential oil
4 drops lemon essential oil
3 drops eucalyptus essential oil
4 drops lavender essential oil
use in spray bottle, be sure to shake the contents when
added


Dust Mite Spray
1 quart distilled water
15-20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
shake before each use


I spray the carpets weekly and the furniture as well.



Drain Cleaner
sprinkle baking soda down drain then add
vinegar.  Let bubble.  In months of heavy
mosquitoes and/or flies, use apple cider vinegar.

This works very well on clogs as well!
 

There you have it~my cleaning secrets.  
Now to the crunching of numbers.   Cost of all my cleaning supplies that have lasted almost two years...$60 (oh and this also includes the laundry detergent as well)

I purchase the essential oils on sale.  Patience has allowed me to build up my oils. 

What about health benefits?  Well let's use your own experiences.  How do you feel when you are scrubbing the bathroom with cleaners from the grocery?  Do your eyes water?  Is the smell almost toxic?   Do you open the windows?   With the above cleaners~noxious odor is never a problem.

 My journey to living on less has actually become a life of so much more.   You do not have to pay a ton of money to maintain a clean, chemically free home.   I had no idea seven years ago that we would almost become a chemically free home as a result of learning to live on less.  I had no idea how much better of a life I would have health wise...because sometimes things happen. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your blog and the work you put into it. I look for your posts on a regular basis.
So, I do have a question. Why do you use distilled water in your recipes?
SJ in Vancouver Canada

Mrs.Rabe said...

We make a lot of our own cleaners too. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

Deanna

Humble wife said...

SJ-we have a good deal of minerals in our water and the distilled water allows for a great cleaner that will not have mineral buildup in the bottles. Thank you so much for your kind words btw!

Deanna-thanks for visiting, and don'tcha just love the homemade cleaners?

Practical Parsimony said...

Since I cannot stand scents, especially anything citrus, I just do the vinegar and baking soda scrubs. Plus, I do use the 20 Mule team borax for lots of things. Cleaning or disinfecting is not affected by the lack of scents and I don't have allergic reactions. NOT buying all sorts of cleaning products really helps save money.

Humble wife said...

PP-I understand the not using scents. Since we use so little, I struggle when I am around someone that uses Downy as it is SO strong to me. It is about savings as well as so much more, dontcha think?

Mud Boots and Cotton Dresses said...

Clever! Why did I never think of taping the box labels to the jars?