"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, August 12, 2013

To Be Fair

Each year I enter items into the County Fair.  I try and come up with a theme to tie the items entered.
The theme this year is Recycled*.

This owl is filled with the stuffing of an
old pillow.  Nothing goes to waste on the
Double Nickel.

If you remember this post I shared that the
remaining parts of gourds grown on the farm
were going to become some sort of dolls.

The body of each doll was formed from~you guessed
it~baling wire recycled!

The bottom part of the gourds became bowls
that I entered last year. 

The left~6 folded cloth napkins and on the right
are two potholders.  The fabric is from a 
1950's housedress.  I wrote about the woman who owned 
the housedress here.

The lining is an old beach towel.

 I have shared progress photos of this rug.  It is a braided rug
made up of an old skirt, curtains, pillowcases, a few
shirts and remnant fabric.  I hand sewed this.

This is a crocheted rug made from cotton 
This rug is made up from ten~old shirts!!

I have had the wood for this piece for a while now.  
Believe it or not this is from my island that was in the kitchen
before we tore out all the cheapy thin almost cardboard wood cabinets.

Whenever others ask how Bill and I have been able to live the lives
we do...I try and explain how we live.   The value of items is truly
appreciated here on the farm.  I  work hard at not wasting anything
and giving new life to as many things as possible.

I enjoy making something different from something that is usually 
considered waste.   I enter items in the County Fair...not because
I am the art guru.  No.  I enter items to share that anyone can make
items for their homes.  One need not rush out for new to have something
nice.  Imperfection of stitches and crooked paint strokes makes for character...that 
makes the contents of our home one of a kind originals.




1 comment:

Pat said...

Jen, you are sooo resourceful. You find a purpose for everything...be it used or leftovers....you never cease to amaze me at your vision. Both in life and your encouragement and enlightenment from our Lord.

Love and miss your wisdom!