"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fifty-three years ago

on August 27~my parents were married.


Sadly, they never celebrated their 7th wedding anniversary...as dad was killed in Vietnam 4 months before they could. 


I did not know the actual date my parents married until 1988.  I married my Bill and once the wedding was over, my mom told me that Bill and I married on my dad's and mom's wedding day.   I kind of get emotional thinking about that.  I had no idea.  


About a year ago, one of my sisters mailed me their wedding album.   I had never seen these photos before and confess I was thrilled through tears.  
Mom was about 10 months older than dad.
I am six months older than my Bill. 
 
This is a photo that makes me 
smile!

My mom left Ohio and headed to Texas
to teach in a Catholic Mission school.  

Within weeks of her arrival she and dad
were set up on a date.  A woman who
taught with her was married to a man stationed
at Fort Hood.

I am definitely their daughter...as

If you haven't clicked yet on the photos...
do.  Mom was a freckled cutie.  I tell you,
I LOVE freckles and have not ONE.
She repeated many times~that yes,
she had freckles ALL OVER.
 
I can confirm that she did have freckles on her arms, legs, and face as
well as
on both her feet and palms.

The couple that set my parents up were the best man
and matron of honor.  I do know their names but will not
share here.    

That very tall priest~with his eyes closed, was my Uncle 
Larry.  He later left the priesthood and married my
Aunt Cathy~a former nun.  My cousins from Uncle
Larry and Aunt Cathy~are ever so freckled, even
if they are nearing their 40's!
 
It is hard to process how very much I have that my
own mother never was fortunate to have.

I would have loved to know them when they
were together.   Mom rarely spoke of dad.   Until I 
married my Bill, I did not understand this.  But I do
now.  Boy oh boy how very hard to have the world
you know and love drastically change.
My grandparents went to Texas to share mom's 
special day.  My grandmother died just days 
before Bill and I married in 1988.  In fact, that
is why we flew to Nevada to get married.
 
My mom did not think that a wedding and a funeral
went well together and she put us on an airplane
and sent us out west to marry.  I wish the Jenny of
today would have told the Jenny of yesterday to say
"we'll delay the wedding..."
 
I think she would not have allowed us to.
This photo was taken in mom and dad's 7th anniversary

All I can think about as I type this post is crud.  Sometimes life gives terrible blows to all that are about.   I think about the short life they had as a couple and how filled their time was being young parents.  I know exactly how mom felt finding out dad was killed, identifying his body with dad's mom,  and the funeral as she left a long hand written letter for us children... and I am saddened~

As I will be celebrating my 25th anniversary with my Bill,
I am so thankful that I have had the marriage I have had.
I am so thankful that I have had the understanding that everything
is precious and the pettiness that can break a marriage isn't worth it.
 
Mom's story is one I think is something pretty amazing.  I have been wiping my tears
as I close this post because her life went on...and she did remarry and thanks to that marriage
2 more sisters became part of the fold.  
 
 
I will continue on this August making plans as I close in on my 25th
but I will never forget...that Bill and I began our marriage on a day 
that was truly a lovely day for my parents as well. 
 

3 comments:

kymber said...

oh Jen. cutting onions again. no i will be honest and say that your mother's story is one of the saddest i have ever heard. oh my goodness i can't believe how much First looks like your Dad! i can't believe that you married Bill on the same day as your parents. your mother's story is so very sad and heartbreaking.

somehow, tho, she raised you kids. i can't even imagine how hard that must have been...i cannot imagine losing my love and still having kids to raise. but she did it. and you are a shining example of the incredible job that she did! i don't know how you have come to know so much about love, life, marriage, motherhood - but i believe that some of that must have come from her!

the pics are gorgeous - i still can't get over how much First looks like your dad?!?!?!? thank you for sharing them. and please, continue these special posts for the month of august!

your friend, with love to you and the DN crew always,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Kymber my bestie friend! You are the sweetest ever and thank you for yoru kind encouragement! Yes, I know much of who I am is exactly from my mom. She certainly was a strong woman and I am thankful for that. Love to you and your cutie too!! xoxoxoxxoxo

Pam Rios said...

I'm so glad I scrolled down far enough to see these photos. My, your dad was one handsome dude! I can't imagine the goose bumps and emotions you felt when you first looked through that album.