"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Holy Smokes~

I am the mom to a 24 year old!   Time really has a way of speeding by!  The month of June is birthday month for half of the farm family and it begins with First and ends with me.  A tradition that my mom did when I was a child was allow the birthday person to have their favorite cereal and perhaps meal choice.  I loved this and have incorporated this tradition in my family as well.

I am trying to calculate how many years First has selected his meal choice and I think aside from when he was in Afghanistan and stationed at Fort Drum he has had it since he was three...for the squeamish I suggest skipping the rest of this post as his meal choice is brutal after he enhances it with ketchup, cayenne pepper, and barbecue sauce!  If you still wish to continue scroll down




















First's meal choice~hotdogs cut in slices which we call 'pennies' pan fried.  Kraft Mac and Cheese, and white rice.  He rinses down this lovely concoction with a swig or two of Dr. Pepper.  

This year for the cake I made a candy cake in a chips and salsa dish...
To hold the candle I used instant kool-aid flavors and a ribbon.  I wonder, is it ever too corny to celebrate the birthday of a loved one?

Here the candle is lit and to be honest I was a bit nervous that the snacks would catch fire as it tilted off to the side.  No fire thank goodness!
The crocheted quilt and the kids together makes for goofiness all around.  First does seem empowered by it~dontcha think?

Well into the dark of night the family stayed in the back yard enjoying the celebration and each others company.  We had a full house with extra special guest making our table seem a bit small...and at the same time all I kept thinking about was how cozy things felt (minus the mile pile of First's foodie choice:).

I know someday birthday celebrations may change locations and the cook may be someone else, but I pray we never stop celebrating the special day that brought this person into our fold.   Birthdays have always been a day where I get emotional and reflect upon how hard it was for me to have each child...and how thankful Bill and I are to be the parents of the goof troop.

To the outsiders looking in I wonder~
1.  On the corniness level 0 lowest- 10 highest where do we rank?
2.  On the birthday get together~what do you do in your family for the birthday person? 


To my handsome First~I will never forget that moment I saw you for the very first time.  Tears well up in my eyes thinking about that day.  I fast forward to when you were in Afghanistan and how we sent you a birthday in a box package and I cried most of the way home from the post office, as I worried about you far far away.  And this year, I will look back upon it as the year you gave me someone new to love and cherish and you even allowed her to see your mile pile of food and she didn't recoil! I always think each year is the best and how can it get any better and then poof something else happens...First~thank you for making me a mom for the very first time.  I love you!

1 comment:

justdifferent said...

on the corniness scale ummmm 8 but what would we be without corny?????? If you only knew my corny.........