"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, April 7, 2013

In Spite of the Times

We on the farm have continued on in our efforts to transform our corner of the world.  I haven't said much of late on what is happening in the world.  It is not because I am ignoring what is going on.  I have shared for several years about the importance of preparing for times of crises.  Never have I pushed for anyone to do anything more than we on the farm have done.

We had our own personal crisis that turned our lives upside down.  I am very thankful for that as we are more aware of how everything can change in an instant.  This is true for anyone.  Each of us is but one natural disaster away from a crisis.

Then what?  Could you and your family make due?  Could you and your family find shelter, food, clothing, and/or any medical needs or supplies?  Could you and your family start again with little to nothing?


Could you leave your home in less than an hour~for ever?  

Then what?  Have you implemented even the most basic of preparatory plans?  You know, an emergency kit for the vehicle, and a grab bag in case you must flee due to any circumstance?  

Like I shared above, my family has learned because of a personal crisis.  The times we live in may create a national crisis.   Then what?  Things are very sketchy worldwide because of gross misspending of governments as well as the citizens.  Every day the news is filled with political leaders pushing further and further against rights most of us have taken granted for far too long.

It is never too late to prepare.  I have written a good deal about things to do to anticipate pretty much anything.   With all of this, I will share things Bill and the kids and I have learned which in the files of restarting life have been proven critical:
1. raising livestock~caring for, butchering, etc.
2. raising poultry~caring for, butchering, etc.
3. growing foods in the harsh, arid, dry desert.
4. preserving foods by canning, pickling, drying
5. baking from scratch~including grinding flours from wheat and beans.
6. creating natural medicines using herbs
7. creating cleaning supplies using natural products
8. sewing
9. building simple sheds, coops, furniture
10.  living off a very finite amount of funding utilizing bartering, and work in trade.

I am certain we have done more, but you get the idea.  I have shared many times before that the government is not the quickest when it comes to response time for anything, so an understanding that you and your family need to act anticipating your response may be the only response for a while.

I pray that anyone that reads this appreciates that it is better to prepare before a crisis, instead of trying to plan during a crisis.

Oh and for the record, life can be amazing in spite of the times~and we on the farm have gone green...












Yep...for this former Midwest gal, I have dreamed a long time about having a yard to walk barefoot and not step on...
thorns that have literally crippled me at times!  Oh Happy Day!

5 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

I seriously got faint when I saw that thorn. Poor you. I could not live there and even wear sandals. That kind of thorn would still get in the sides of the sandal! I have never seen a thorn that size anywhere.

Humble wife said...

Oh Practical= my problem is that I refuse to stop wearing sandals!!! Ouch is a daily word to my stubbornness! This year is a pretty bad year as the thorns are longer and sharper...ugh!!

Mrs.Rabe said...

I think we need to be better prepared in case of having to leave our home. We are prepared in many ways to stay at home, and live in a crisis but not to leave.

Will need to think this through.

Deanna

Pam Rios said...

great advice! We are not at prepared as we should be if we were to have to leave. I commit to gettin on it!

Humble wife said...

Deanna-I am glad to have given you something to consider! :)

Pam!! Excellent my FL friend!!