"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, March 11, 2013

A Country Mouse

endures to the frigid end.  Well that is the story I imagined this morning as I fed the critters.  The temperature was 25F so I had to break a thin layer of ice off the water troughs and oh what a chore this morning!  In the ram's trough I found a country mouse in the icy water.  I am a sorry lot as I did feel for the poor guy for a moment. 

If only he was a city mouse.   Perhaps he would have thrived in some restaurant basement sampling delightful morsels of the daily fare.  Poor country bumpkin!  He had to live off of grain, hay, and the droppings of the critters.  He had desert cactus to snack upon, as well as any slops that were not discovered by the chickidoodles.  

Oh the life and times of a country mouse...may his family move to the city in grief.  

6 comments:

Dina said...

Shalom, thanks for stopping by my blog today. Welcome.
You are so lucky to live on a farm, even when the trough freezes over.
My six years working with livestock at Heifer Ranch (heifer.org) were some of the best in my life (even during the ice storm).

Greetings from warm Jerusalem.

Dani said...

Couldn't agree with you more - and may they take the rest of their extended family with them too... :)

The Little Acre that Could said...

I plum didn't realize your blog wasn't in my google reader until I read your comment on my blog this evening! Must go resubscribe to your RSS feed.

Poor little mouse :-(

Humble wife said...

Oh Dina thank you for your visit!! And soon we will be enjoying our desert warmth too!

LOL Dani-if only!!


S-I honestly feel a bit sad for the mouse,but in truth need him not to be here...sigh!

Mrs.Rabe said...

Ah...mice.

Yes, we have many in the barn...unless our cat has dealt with them....

Thanks for your kind words on my blog yesterday!

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Deanna...I am still so sad for you and yours. Oh our kitties are busy too, but I would have never guessed a water trough would do it in!