"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Friday, January 4, 2013

Ten Things

Here is a list of ten things to start 2013 off...

1.  On average I iron something 24 days of the month.  Some people may prefer to iron everything at once but for me, I like to iron as Bill eats his breakfast and that takes only time to iron what he wears that day~so now you know.

2. Every year I make it a goal to learn something new.  This year one thing I am going to be learning is how to be the mom to all adult children!  I am super amazed at how time flies by and love that my goofs are far more than goofs...oh how I love them.

3.  We have converted the school room into an indoor laundry room.  So on days like today, I can dry my clothing as we are a dryer free.  I actually have three lines that can be pulled across the room and I can dry an entire load of clothing!

4.  This is what today looks like.  That is one of the small water troughs spread about the property.  Currently, thanks to Fourth, there are trails to each of the water troughs...as we try to take care of our critters.  We also spread hay in the trails so the chickidoodles feet stay as warm as possible.  Have I mentioned I love the snow?  I love it for a day or so then I am ready to enjoy New Mexico weather once again!

5.  Bill has grown his beard a good deal this year.  It is the longest and thickest he has ever grown it and I find it very handsome!  It's kind of neat after years and years of having to be clean shaven as he was in the Army then in law enforcement~I would have never guessed all those years ago that I would be married to a bearded man!

6.  I am having my favorite meal for breakfast...perhaps you remember it:  red beans, rice, and onions.  Oh how I enjoy them.  If I were to be forced to eat only three things the rest of my life...these would be the three.  Yep, I suppose I am that boring!


7.  This is what older flock of chickidoodles abode looked like before we opened the door up for the day.  Those silly sunflowers brighten the snowy day don't they?

8.  What 1969-1970ish looked like from a giggly 2 1/2 year old...I am on the far right. Front row cousin J, sister Cathy, brother UJ,  cousin G, sister Liz, cousin F, cousin E, me.  Back row, cousin V (I wrote about her here), brother Pete, brother Dave.  I am going to use this photo in an upcoming post...but I thought I would share now with my ten things post also.

9.   Laughter...have you laughed today?  Bill makes me laugh every day...and for an inside joke who who... Remember even in sorrow there is hope.  Sometimes I laugh as I realize how silly the world is in trying to make an impression.  We need to have the perfect hair, clothing, home, spouse, children, pets, etc...and it is so silly.  Shake things up today with a smile.  Wear pajamas all day.  Play a game with a loved one and talk.  It is amazing how soon you can end up giggling.

10.  As I close with number ten, I am going to close with my theme of the year-gratitude.  In all things I pray I have gratitude.  We have one life granted us by our Creator (whether one believes in God or not), and then we die.  Why must it be used up so poorly in hatred, bitterness, angst, discord, and misery?   If someone is a problem in your life you can allow it to impact you and get angry, you can leave the situation and ignore them, or you can pray for them and NOT allow them to change your life.  If you want to have something then become a verb.  Make things happen or at least try.  Set reasonable goals-most of us are never going to be famous, live among the rich, invent something, or write a best selling novel, BUT all of us can make our world the best it can be.  We can be cheerful to the downtrodden, we can show love to our family no matter what, and can whistle while we work as it means we have a job...yep, I am named Jennifer, but totally am a Pollyanna-and you can be too.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I saw on the news the huge snow you had in that area.

Pam Rios said...

This was a fun read but I'm surprised that you didnt' add "chips and salsa" to #6!! ;)

The Little Acre that Could said...

I especially relate to #9. When one thinks about the true meaning of life these things don't seem important. And I am glad to be reminded how silly they are because I don't have the perfect anything, but sometimes start wishing I did.

Thanks for the reminder. You sound like a fine woman, wife and mother and I'm glad to have 'met' you :-)

Humble wife said...

Yes Susan-the higher elevations did get a good amount of snow!

Pam-lol...I love salsa too-ESPECIALLY on beans and rice ;)!!

Little Acre-I too am glad. I have enjoyed getting to know you too!!