"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Laundry Soap for the Farm

Keep in mind that this is very easy, it will save you a great deal of money, and it lasts a good while...so if you want to make homemade laundry soap for under a dollar here is the simple recipe.

First you need a laundry bar of soap.  Sometimes I use Zote instead of Fels-Naptha, 
as it is in our stores and the bar is about 75 cents.  Fels-Naptha is available in the detergent
aisle at your local super~center.

Grate about 1/3 of the bar. 

Put it in a pot and add 6 cups of water and turn on medium heat.
Stir until melted.  Then add

1/2 cup of Borax and

1/2 cup of washing soda

Stir until they both dissolve.  Remove from heat.

Take a bucket that can hold at least 3 gallons or so of water
~ and then

 add 4 cups hot water to the bucket.  Then add the soap mixture to the bucket.
Now add 1 gallon plus six cups more of water.  Stir!

The laundry soap is frothy or soap bubbly.  Let rest over night and
then it is ready to use.

Use 1/2 cup per laundry load and for softness 
add 1/2 cup white vinegar to load.

12 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I use to make this too and it works great!

Gayle said...

I used to do this although my ingredients are slightly more here. Then I ran out of stuff and lazily went back to buying laundry soap. Doesn't make much sense, does it? Guess I'd better get back at it when my current bucket runs out.

Mrs.Rabe said...

We usually just use the powdered version of this, but am thinking it may go further is we made the liquid version....

I love being able to make this and use it for just pennies!

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Michelle-I think so too!

Gayle- I confess every now and then I buy laundry soap but the savings using this are powerful and it works so well!

Deanna-I tried the powdered version and compared to the liquid, I prefer the liquid. It does seem to last a good deal longer and pennies is correct!

Gayle said...

I wonder if there is a way for your comments to be emailed... you know that we don't see them unless we come back here?

Humble wife said...

Gayle- I emailed you personally as I do not know how to make this option work...sigh...kind of techie is a dangerous thing to be lol...

ProudHillbilly said...

Vinegar for fabric softner? Interesting. Useful stuff, that.

Humble wife said...

PH-yep. I have used vinegar since 2007. I cannot believe how amazing it is...oh and even though I was a Downy aholic, I almost cannot be around someone that uses Downy now, as it is so pungent! Vinegar removes odor as well and leaves NO SMELL. I love it!

ProudHillbilly said...

What about static?

Humble wife said...

PH-when I was the fleece blankets I add about 3/4 cup vinegar. We do not have static problems. I LOVE vinegar it has SO many uses and at any given time I have ten gallons about the house. I am making a more concentrated effort this year to share all the tips I use, not to show tht I am something, but to show that through a bit of searching, I have found out how inexpensive it is to use common items for the base of all that we use in the house. This path we ended up on was not by choice, BUT I cannot imagine living any other way...I cannot undo the knowledge I have gained about processed foods, or the knowledge about how so many products contain ingredients that are NOT healthy for consumption or absorption via toiletries etc. What I wish I could do is gone back to Jen of 1988 and told her how much better her life as well as her family's life would be minus all the crapola. Ah for another day~lol. It is amazing how transforming life has become since we bought a place of wasted land in the middle of nowhere that we call a farm...in the hopes of fruition-and in spite of condition!

Humble wife said...

*when I wash-not was

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
Thanks for motivating us all to do more for ourselves!
I just fixed a major issue with my computer ...oh so very tempting to just get a new one...but your voice was in the back of my head telling me to try a little longer and see if it was REALLY necessary to replace it. I was able to find the configuration issue! Yay!
Sending hugs,
LizinNy