"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Groceries on the farm


Means you need to stretch items as well as supplement if possible with garden items, eggs, and meats from the farm.  Well that is what we do on the farm.  Everyone can grow a few items in a container in their home or apartment. One thing that has proved invaluable in flu season is the mint I grew last year and dried.

Take dried mint boil it in a pot, then take it off the stove and make a tent over it with a towel with your head covered by the towel.  This is an incredible way to clear your sinuses. Here are some other benefits of mint.

Here are photos of the groceries purchased last week.
                                               
 We water down all the juice we buy.  For Bill and I it is a 50-50 ratio of juice to water.  Immediately we have doubled our juice purchases.  In this photo are V-8 juices and orange juice.  I am going to make almond milk with the almonds as well as using them to increase nutritional dense foods in the house.  Keep in mind that about 11 -15 almonds is about 200 calories so count out your handful! whf information about almonds.  We use the raisins in salads and as a snack.  Fourth is an olive fiend so olives are her snack...oh and did you notice?  The jar will be perfect for the newest spice I have purchased (in photo)~caraway seeds.(check out how health beneficial caraway seeds are) The pickles and popcorn are purely things enjoyed in the house.  Believe it or not, when we play board games one or both pickles and popcorn are served as a snack.  




This grouping of food is the best way to buy foods. Buy them and then create your food from the fresh items.  In this photo: mango, sweet potato, gala apples, red grapes, Serrano peppers, mesclun, limes, cilantro, ginger and celery.   

 This group of food has both white and brown rice, arrowroot powder, dark rye flour, pinto beans coconut, spelt and kamut berries. From this group I will be able to make not only food, but also shampoo and makeup. Funny how things go the longer you are on a journey the more you learn!

My next photo will be completely of items not needed, especially because when you make them from scratch you will not have any of these items which should be avoided as much as possible:
MSG-monosodium glutamate
Aspartame
High fructose corn syrup
agave nectar
artificial food coloring
BHA's and BHT
Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite
Potassium Bromate
rBGH recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone
Refined Vegetable Oil

For the record MSG is in both the soups and the dressing
The cookies and the crackers have refined oils as well as high fructose corn syrup...
As I share our journey here on the farm I try to keep things real so you can appreciate
things.  My goal is to can more homemade soups to not need to buy for times like these past weeks where we have been under the weather and need a quick soup.  And ranch dressing is SO easy to make and taste so much better-so I will share the recipe soon.  

These photos may seem like something is lacking.  I have shared for years how to build up a food storage and rotate it.  In these times that food storage and rotation is critical.   We have our pantry and freezer to create the meals we will be eating.  Please take the time to purchase items to have for times of crisis...also take time to build up a food storage, even if you only build up enough for a few weeks,  in case of a storm or natural disaster.   Take time to either can or have on hand items that can be eaten without cooking-such as canned fruits, dried fruits...MRE's etc.  Also have items that are ready to eat.  For example, in times of need it is so much easier popping open a can of pinto beans than cooking them from scratch.  So I can several jars of beans as well as having some dry beans on hand.

Who knows what is ahead of us with the leadership in the US honing in on guns and what not.  I mean if this is what is in the public forum...my goodness can you imagine what is taking place behind closed doors?   We are living in times that are unusual and many are struggling.  In these times Hope exists.  Please leave a message here if you would like to find out how to have Hope in the midst of chaos.   Don't forget, Bibles are free for the asking!



4 comments:

Lamb said...

PLEASE post the recipe for ranch dressing! My Darlin' Man will only use the Hidden Valley garbage that you mix at home and that vile stuff is almost %50 MSG. I need a good substitute for him! (I make my own salad dressing from different oils and vinegars and spices, etc)

Mrs.Rabe said...

We don't by much "pre made" foods either. Mostly we buy ingredients and make our own meals!

I am praying for our nation in these days....

Deanna

Gayle said...

We've had highly unusual weather with rain in January that closed our schools today. I was just talking to my husband last night about having emergency supplies on hand. This summer we need to make a concentrated effort to acquire a generator, make sure we have jugs of fuel on hand, that there is always back-up propane, lots of wood, flashlights, etc. and canned goods. If this current storm knocks the power out we will be quite uncomfortable.

Is it cheaper for you to make the almond milk? Almonds are so expensive.

Humble wife said...

I will share the Ranch dressing recipe asap Lamb!! Oh how I dislike all the garbage put in our foods...


Deanna-that is the most important thing we can do isn't it?

Gayle-Oh I so worry when you share things. I hope you are minimizing how much you have and that you could sustain the family for a bit longer than you share! That bag of almonds is about 5 dollars. I prefer to make milk because I do not eat or drink milk much BUT every now and then I wish to eat some of my homemade raisin bran. I am NOT a milk fan...I blame my oldest son sharing with me the video on acceptable pus in milk...UGH!