"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, January 10, 2013

And today is brought to you by the color Orange

and of the importance of thrift!

I assembled the ingredients for dinner and realized how simple and orangey it looked so I thought I would share.  In addition, this is the third meal from the original roast I made, so once again thrift is important on the farm. In case you are wondering, I made the roast, then burritos, and now Orange Stew!

Yep, that is what I have decided this stew should be called!

 Orange Stew
1. 2 medium carrots washed, peeled, and diced. 
Save your peelings and you can make carrot cake 
or cookies.
2. 2 medium potatoes washed, peeled and diced. 
Save your peelings to bake with a bit of olive
oil and salt. (yum)
3. 2 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and diced.
Save your peelings for compost or chickidoodles.
4.  Roast shredded or chopped up about 1.5 cups
5.  medium onion.  If your gang likes onion chop
it up. Mine only likes the flavor...sigh...makes me 
wonder, did I take away all their onion love? You
know~to horde it for me!!  
6. 1 large garlic clove, minced
7. Not pictured~ 2 tbsp flour
8.  Not pictured~1 tbsp NM chili powder
9. Not pictured~1 tsp dried parsley
10. Not pictured~water to cover stew.


Then you need some beef broth or beef bouillon.  I reserved some of the broth from the roast.
Some made gravy and this portion I had been planning on making French Dip and this with be the au jus, but changed my mind as my gang has been a sniffling (more on that at the end). Many times people throw away things and then use a store bought product.  In times like these, it is important to not waste such valuable, nutritious items.

Oh back to the beef broth...remember what I said about onions?  Well I need to make this rich juice palatable to my gang, so I whipped the contents of this jar with the blender.


Here the juice is nicely blended.


I will let it slow cook until dinner and serve it up with a roll.

Since my sweeties are sniffling, I wanted to make something that will help them by boosting their immune systems.

So this meal is full of immune boosting vitamins.

I will update with a photo and don't forget to look about and see if you can see the orange in today!


4 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

Just finished drinking the last of batch of carrot juice I made.

Humble wife said...

Oh Yum!! Love fresh carrot juice!!

Susan said...

Like you I save everything for another use. I usually make a "stew" from left over roast simply by chopping up the left over roast, potato, celery, & carrots - add the gravy, stick in the over and heat and have a yummy, easy supper.

Humble wife said...

Susan-it is amazing how easy it is to live within ones means and stretch everything, isn't it?