"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 - 2005

Friday, January 4, 2013

2013 Books

This will be a list of most of the books I am reading this year.  I began my book list in February for 2012 and then kind of trailed off...perhaps I will do better in 2013!

  1. The Bible and Life by Edwin Holt Hughes. 1915. Downloaded from project Gutenberg. 
  2. Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening. Fern Marshall Bradley and Barbara W. Ellis, ed.  Rodale Press. Emmaus PA. 1992
 
*1992-new to me!!








     


    3. Imperial Rome. Moses Hadas. Time Life Books. 1965.                                                              4.   Manners and Customs in the Bible.  Victor H. Matthews. Hendrickson Publishers. Peabody MA.  2003.  I have read this book before, but I am rereading it.
    5. Our Father Abraham.  Marvin R. Wilson. Wm. B. Eerdman's Publishing Co.  Grand Rapids MI. 2011.     
    6.  Fossilized Customs.  Lew White.  Torah Institute.  Louisville KY. 2012.
    7.  Esther The Romance of Providence. J. Vernon McGee. 2005
    8.  Greece and Rome Builders of our World.  National Geographic Society. 1968.
    9.  Come Out of Her My People. C.J. Koster.  Institute for Scriptural Research. 2009.  
    apparently I am not so good about keeping tabs on what I read.  Even with the best of intentions.  I read daily and cannot believe quickly I forgot to record the books read this year!!
    10. In Search of Paul How Jesus's Apostle Opposed Rome's Empire with God's Kingdom. Grossan
    11. Cooking in Ancient Civilizations.  Kaufman
     12. A Promise Fulfilled.  Greenfeld
    13. Israel The Culture.  Smith
    14.  My Jewish Year. Senker
    15. Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day. Matyszak
    16.  The Founders of the Western World A History of Greece and Rome. Grand
    17.  Nero The Destroyer of Rome
    18.  Cleopatra Ruling in the Shadow
    19.  Israel Enchantment of the World.  Hintz
    20.  Israel. Garfinkle
    21.  Israel the People
    22. What Life was Like When Rome Ruled the World 100 BC- AD 200
    23..  What Life was Like at the Dawn of Democracy.  
    24.  Healing Plants of the Bible.  Krymow
    25.  Colonial Folkways.  Andrews
    26.  Ask a Mexican!  Arellano
    27.  Glenn Beck's Common Sense.  Beck
    28.  The Bible is History.  Wilson 
    29. Culinary Arts Institute Mexican Cookbook
    30. Cooking at Home with the Culinary Institute of America
    31. 100 Health Boosting Foods  
    32.  Floating Schools and Frozen Inkwells.  Adams, Thomas.
    33. Old Time Schools and School Books.  Johnson
    34.  The Civilization of Ancient China. Corona.
    35. The World Until Yesterday.  Diamond.
    36.  The Columbia History of the World.  ed. Garraty.
    37.  Matthew Brady Portraits of a Nation.  Wilson.
    38.  The Gentle Tamers Women of the Old Wild West.  Brown.
    39.   Inside the Victorian Home.  Flanders.
    40.  The Miracle of Freedom 7 Tipping Points that Saved the World.  Stewart, Stewart.
    41.  Jewish Holiday Crafts.  Becker.
    42.  Collapse How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.  Diamond.
    43.  Crafts of Mexico.  Harvey.
    44.  The Ten Lost Tribes.  Benite.
    45.  How to Keep Kosher.  Stern.
    46.  Daily Life in the Middle Ages.  Newman.
    47. Guns, Germs, and Steel.  The Fates of Human Societies.  Diamond.
    48.   Hiding to Survive.  Rosenberg 
    49.  Maya Ruins in Central America. Ferguson
    50.   Great Empires of the Ancient World.   ed. Harrison
    51.   Constantine Ruler of Christian Rome.  Morgan.
    52.   Wonders and Miracles.  Kimmel.
    53.   Purim.  Peppas.
    54.   Ancient Wonders of Central and South America. Woods, Woods.
    55.   Laura Ingalls Wilder Real Life Pioneer of the Little House Books.  Ford.
    56.  Laura Ingalls Wilder Storyteller of the Prairie. Wadsworth.
    57.  The Great Depression & The New Deal. Rauchway.
    58.   There Were Giants Upon the Earth.  Sitchin
    59.    Stolen Innocence.  Wall
    60.    Celebrating Passover.  Hoyt-Goldsmith.
    61.    Under the Banner of Heaven.  Krakauer.
    62.   Cooking the Mexican Way.  Coronado
    63.   Cooking the Irish Way.  Hughes.
    64.   Cooking the Israeli Way.  Bacon.
    65.   A Passover Holiday.  Raabe.
     
     
          

5 comments:

Susan said...

You are an avid reader as I am. I am ready to blog about my first book for 2013 which I read this week.

Pam Rios said...

Books Books glorious books! this reminds me, I need to get my brother to build me some bookshelves. I've been in this house for a year plus and still have boxes of books out in the garage! pitiful!

Humble wife said...

Susan-sometimes I wonder what life would be like without books...sigh..very sad inded.

Pam-yes you do. Do you want me to call him to make your shelves??? lol

Gayle said...

That's quite of list in 2012. I honestly can't remember the last time I read. That makes me kind of sad and I think it's time for me to make a list, too. :) You are always an inspiration.

Humble wife said...

Gayle...the list is key. I do try and set aside time to do things, even if early in the morning or in the evening. You have littles still that require more of your time. Don't worry you will have time as you know how fast the kiddos grow. :)