"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

17 years ago today~

I had my daughter.
This is her 'cake' for tonight.   I finished making her cupcake platter and thought I would share seventeen things about my daughter.

  1. I call my daughter Fourth in blogland.  Although my children's names in blogland lack creativity, her name in real life is pretty amazing.  We made her name up and gave her a name that is as unique as she is. 
  2. As I watch the interactions between the children, Fourth seems to connect with everyone as if they are super close.  She is that way, kind, sweet and compassionate.
  3. Fourth is truly an animal person.  Every animal follows her and I call Fourth Mama to the critters that live on the farm.  She has a special place in her heart for her dogs.
  4. Fourth is an avid reader~and at times is up all night with a book.
  5. Fourth is a game player and will play games with me any time.  She is good too, so most times it is a great challenge.  Current game of choice is Phase 10.
  6. Fourth spent a good part of her first year of life in the hospital.
  7. Fourth was just a wee bit over the length of  a ruler at birth.
  8. Bill and I were told Fourth was a boy~and so we had boy names picked out.  If you knew what our Third son's name is, you would understand how much of a dilemma this was.  We did not think that we could have any more children after Third and so we gave him sort of a final name to wrap up the children.  How funny it is to appreciate we are not in control.  I had resigned myself to a very awkward name for Fourth if she was a boy.
  9. Fourth is taller than me.  In fact,  she has been for a few years now~to anyone that knows me in real life, you all are saying big deal, as you know I am limited in the height department!
  10. Fourth loves her dad.  She and Bill have a very close relationship and do many things together.  I smile when I hear them laughing together.  It is a blessing through Fourth to see a father daughter relationship. I am thankful that Bill is here and is her dad.
  11. Fourth is quite sensitive. She takes everyone's worries upon herself.
  12. Fourth is my newest chef without recipes.  For many years she has been cooking, but as of late, she whips up a meal with no recipe.  She is tasting and sampling as she goes, adding spices and the sorts.  I am in awe of how she gets the balance between foods.
  13. My mother-in-law knew what my fourth was to look like before she was born.  No kidding! As I type this, I am still in awe, thinking back to April 1, 1995 when my mother-in-law came to visit us while we were stationed in California.  She came with Bill's youngest sister and she was on a mission. She asked if I was pregnant because she had been dreaming of a blond curly haired baby.  I laughed out loud as we were told no more babies! Boy oh boy was she spot on! Check out the photo on the bottom of this post.  For the record, my sons were dark haired and favored all of their cousins on Bill's side of the family.  A blond baby was almost impossible to consider!
  14. Fourth is very creative.  She will come to the fabric cupboard, grab a few items, head to the table cut, then off to sew.  She has made several skirts and I am amazed at how lovely they look.
  15. Fourth enjoys watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  I love this, as my mom introduced the movie to me, when I was about 13 or 14, and it became an instant favorite with me.  Fourth and I have watched the movie at least once a year for several years.
  16. Fourth loves spicy food.  I confess that I dropped a jalapeno on the floor and when I discovered I dropped it was when I looked at my baby chewing on it. She did not flinch at all. Now she adds NM chili powder to even Top Ramen!
  17. Fourth is filled with life.  Considering how fragile she was at birth coming ten weeks early, I see a determination in her that is inspiring. I am in awe of my cutie and ever so proud of her.  I cannot imagine not having her in my life, and I am truly thankful to God to have been blessed with her as my daughter. 

My blond curly haired Fourth!! 

Happy Birthday Fourth 
We Love You!
Dad  & Mom
First, Second, and Third

6 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

What a beautiful story! How special to be the only girl, unexpected, after three boys. God knew just what you all needed and made her for you!

Blessings
Deanna

Glenn B said...

Happy birth Fourth, from one Libra to another!

All the best,
Glenn B

Paloma said...

So precious! Happy birthday to her!

Humble wife said...

Oh Deanna, thank you! I couldn't agree any more! :)

Well thanks Glenn, happy birthday to you too~when is your birthday?

Paloma~oh thank you so much!

Gayle said...

This is so lovely. Would you mind if I copied it in making a post for my Emily? Her birthday was today, but I just didn't have time to put the post together. I will tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Fourth! I hope you had an amazing day! (You sure have a pretty amazing mom).

Humble wife said...

Gayle-of course-as I hae read the post!! Loved it. And ps thank you!!