"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, September 14, 2012

In the garden, the mighty garden


Are wonderful things to harvest.

Henny Penny dreams of living on the other side of the garden fence.

Cuatro  was happy right where he was, as weeds magically landed near him!

Other plants volunteered to grow among the weeds~the purple plant is a Hopi Red Dye Amaranth.

 And the cotton is flowering!

Kitty joined me in my garden visit and she is needed as we have a burrowing pest.
 
Henny Penny waited by the basket waiting for more treats to be tossed.

And the pomegranate tree looks wonderful!

Kitty loves the garden and is spying from high for her varmint.
 
I am glad as  she is needed in the garden, as the vole or mole has been busy.  I need the kitty to help resolve the issue for me.  See the burrowing of the dirt?

Oh and as my photo tour ends, these are volunteer melons from last year! How neat is that?


7 comments:

ProudHillbilly said...

I am so jealous of your garden!

russell1200 said...

Wise kitty. Get up high were those little underground nibblers can't get your toes.

Cats are cool. But for ground stuff you need a digging type dog. Our neighbors dog (some sort of husky-german shepard mix) will smell out grubs 6" down and dig a littl (4" dia) hole straight down at them. Yum Yum. Moles and voles would be toast.

Humble wife said...

Aww Proud...It is very humble but I thank you so much. I think we all should be jealous of the mole/vole as what a paradise it has found~until Kitty pounces!!

Russell-we let one of the dogs in every day. She is easily swayed by the lizards. The other two are too too big and think they are frail and tiny and can step over the plants...in truth they are ginormous Great Pyrenees! My husband has a sure fire plan, but I need to harvest the garden first as it is pretty radical but all sources swear by it. I promise I will post about it!!

Anonymous said...

Love your garden and I love your sense of humor and the way you bring things to life. Sometimes I feel like I'm standing right there.

Love ya
VA Sis

Humble wife said...

VA SIS-How wonderful would that be? <3 ya too

Gayle said...

Your soil looks to be so dry and red... is it clay? I'm amazed how much you get to grow in it. My dirt is so dark, rich and smells... well... earthy. I love that I have so many bins of compost to add to it this year. Do you compost to enrich your soil?

Humble wife said...

Gayle-it is clay and caliche. We have been making soil for our raised beds but the ground here is DESERT~ oh and making soil-yes through compost...but most of food waste is for chickens, so our compost is the poo, and we go to the mountains for additive soils.