"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Before President Obama Part 2

Be sure to read Before President Obama Part 1 before reading part 2.

When times are hard it is understandable that one may resort to falling into an emotional depression. Or as a nation a period of bitterness and hate.  You know what I mean~where people who used to get along even though they believed differently now are at odds with each other.  It used to be that we could gather around the table with those that may be a democrat, a republican, or unaffiliated with any political party. Now we are so hateful, so spiteful, so bitter, that the divide between Americans seems to have never been greater.

In the case of my family following the accident, I am not going to lie. Times were hard. Emotions were raw, and we could see the writing on the wall and knew that our lives had changed forever. This was through nothing intentional. We knew we were on a clock and that we had to change things but we did not really know which way to go or what to do. Extended family that lived far away had no idea how much we were dealing with and how do you explain things to people?  No one wishes to be seen as a beggar, nor the truth of the matter was that no one was equipped to assist a family of six anyway.  Although we thought we leaned heavily on our faith, battled stress, worry, fear, and the unknown, as like many Christians we forgot Matthew 11:28-30

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

We tried to handle life's woes alone and it was difficult. About six months after Bill's accident we truly came back into focus and returned to Him.  I am not saying we turned from the Lord, I am saying we thought we could resolve the issues and forgot Him.  We continued to pray, attend church, read the Bible and such, but we were going through the motions in a fog of sorts.  That is how things are now as Americans.  We are thinking we can resolve our problems alone and that our nation poofed into existence as is without those that had a faith and belief in God.  We have looked away from the words that the Founding Fathers put down for all to read and thrive because of them.  They knew that the Constitution was a measure to work towards not what they had at that moment, as we all know about the slaves in the nation. But hope abounded in that document and still does~except some now say our nation is a terrible nation and that we never were a nation of anything.  These folks with this belief are not few, but many that are on the Left and some on the Right.

America did not become a nation without men and women that sacrificed all.  People left all they had to begin a life that was an extreme risk. They knew they would never have the life they had in the old world and ventured anyhow to the new world.  The new world was not a place that was exclusively owned by the inhabitants that were there at the time (we know refer to these inhabitants as Native Americans). No, like all over the world people migrated.  When people migrated a few things happened.  The natives were either killed, they left, or they assimilated. American history is being turned ugly calling White European settlers as the evil invaders. Let's be honest for a few moments here. White European settlers came, they did perhaps all of the scenarios I presented above as have people for thousands of years.  Remember the Bering Strait? The land bridge that people from Asia crossed to North America~these people are the ancestors of my husbands family...in fact, we see this in the shape of the eyes of my mother-in-law, a son of mine, and many others on Bill's side. So these Bering Strait travelers, I wonder, did they do the same as the White Europeans?  Well of course!

You know how I know? Because there is no new thing under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9)

As I share how my life before President Obama, and how Bill and I ended up on the farm, I do see how our nation is the way it is~ bitter and hateful. We actually seem a bit like Germany after WWI, as we are no longer looking for resolutions but hate to thrive so we can become strong.  This won't work for America anymore than it worked for Germany.  Hitler placed blame on the Jew and the nation thrived as hate is a good motivator. We see that now,  and anytime anyone mentions a truth about the President, the Left cries "racism."  We are not allowed to call President Obama the Food Stamp President, as this has been deemed racist, although he is as the largest number of people in American history are now on Food Stamps (SNAP). Hate breeds lies under every rug.  We can't mention anything or the Left shouts from the rooftops.   I say enough.

 For Bill and I, we accepted instead of hated anything.  We did not know where we would be today, yet, we did accept. We accepted accidents happen.  We accepted that departments choose what is best for themselves in spite of how damning that would be to a young family.  We accepted that we would have to move far away to a place that was bottom of the barrel~if we wanted to be able to survive.  But we did not accept defeat.  We accepted change and walked slowly until we learned more but we moved forward.  We did not and would not ever think another was to blame, or that our actions would lead to permanent failure. Instead we realized that all things can turn out fine...even before we knew where we were going.

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, and are called according to his purpose. (By the way, John 3:16-18 make it clear who those are that are called according to his purpose)


Before President Obama and the economic crisis that is impending, my family experienced something every bit as damning to our future, our lives, our children's lives, and our marriage.  We could have chose a different path as America can do right now.  America can continue to choose to ignore truth in our government and continue on the path of teachers that strike when they make $76,000 and were offered an incredible bargain.  We can choose to ignore truth and determine that gay rights are more important than religious convictions-ps the truth of this is neither is more or less important. My rights stop where yours begin...and I am not a Constitutional attorney yet know this.  We choose to lie about candidates, instead of realizing that both President Obama and Mitt Romney are and have been for universal health care.  We choose to lie about the candidates when we allow one side to say that Romney has not released his tax forms...when we have never seen a college transcript for Barack Obama~stand for truth or cease is what I say to both sides.

America is at a crossroads.  I am not sure she will recover because hate and bitterness have been deeply rooted.  Our politicians are no longer of the people, but live more like a reigning class and cannot even understand middle America, yet we continue to vote year after year for more of the same.  We listen to the politicians call others the 1%ers yet  the truth is that our politicians are 1%er's.  They are stirring the waters of hate, bitterness, and contention because the more we focus on the squabble the less we will see how little they really do.

Things are not free in life.  On the farm we know this.  Our farm is still mostly in name only as it does not look like a farm of the east~but it is in character, content, and direction. We know where this will lead through our sweat, our tears, our perseverance. 

Many Americans have forgotten that things in life are not free.  We have so many going to college because the government will pay-and the debt grows. Medical treatment is not free, yet our ER's are filled with folks that pretty much could stay home, sleep, and recover but free care, means EVERY single sniffle needs a doctor-and the debt grows. Roads are built in the middle of nowhere-and the debt grows. Airports are built that see a few flights a day-and the debt grows.  Children are paid to attend school-and the debt grows.  Teachers are paid regardless of children passing minimum requirements-and the debt grows.  We have beer summits at the White House-and the debt grows. The First Lady tours the world-and the debt grows.  The Secretary of Defense commutes weekly to Washington DC from California-and the debt grows. I could go on and on, but I will stop.  Nothing is free. In fact, here is a very tough thing to type, but I need to type it...you deserve nothing in America.  What America offers is a place for you to pursue happiness. A place where freedoms exists and you can carve out your dream.  It owes nothing and we should appreciate that and weave that into our thought process.

America owes me nothing.  When we had our crisis, we did not put our hands out.  We rolled up the sleeves. I did not cry to our nation "You owe me, my dad was killed in Vietnam!"  No, I was humbled that my love, my partner in all survived.  I was humbled because I know what it was like for a child to grow up without a father, and praised God that my children did not have to know what this was like.

Now before President Obama my family had a crisis that has defined us to today.  And before President Obama and now, I owe America something as do all of us that are blessed to live and thrive upon her soil.  I owe her my word that I accept this to my core: 

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.  

 I owe America the gratitude that my family~once a middle class family rising on the ladder of success, can change mid stride and reinvent themselves all because we live in this great nation.  I am ever so thankful for this, and once again I thank God for January 1, 2005 as my family has become more than I could have ever imagined...all because of an accident that nearly took my sweet husband's life.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you
LizinNY

Crystal Mary said...

I am not American nor do I still live in the U.S. However, I know that almost every country in the world is changing, and not always for the better. I see stupid senseless spending by governments when they are not meeting the essentials of their own country. Australia has been riding high..and now in the state where I live they are cutting jobs in the public and health sector. And then, they place the blame on the previous government. I could not believe that $700,000 was spent here on a giant granite egg statue that is in Bushland and people need to hunt to find it, while 4,000 people will loose their jobs! Anyhow, as Christians we know the world is going to get worse instead of better. So each of us need to do our own upmost and live our lives the best we can, serving God, and helping others.
In God We Trust, not man.

Humble wife said...

Liz :)

Crystal Mary-Amen...here we have constructed a monstrosity of a memorial to the 9-11 victims that has cost over 700 million dollars...and the maintenance is expected to ridiculous. Times are indeed crazy. I do wish to respect and honor those Americans that were simply going about their days when they were killed, but THIS is insane.

May eyes be opened!

Mrs.Rabe said...

So well said, Jen! Thank you.

This past year we have felt the squeeze - we have a mortgage and a little bit of credit card debt that we are ashamed of because we know better! Anyway - we have been taking measures for the last 5 years or more to simplify our lives.
With the QE3 it is only a matter of time...

May God be gracious to you and your family and bless your efforts!

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Deanna-we all have felt the squeeze. One cannot go to a store without shaking ones head in dismay. You are doing wonderful and I thank you for your kind comments!

Kelly said...

I see hate towards the US from countries that are our allies? Really? How about we keep our money, grain and use our own oil. Let them eat their oil or pay for our grain barrel for barrel. Enough blaming our President for coming into a crisis. Do we really think the President has that much power? I don't think they have any idea what the office or problems are until they are there. Then I bet the sit there for days saying "Oh my God, what have I gotten myself into". We too have cut back. No because of need, thank God, but because of wanting to. I work full time and am so fortunate to have a job. We have to get past hate and keep each other in our prayers, help our neighbors and have a heart. Much love and prayers coming your way. Heck, Americas' way.

Humble wife said...

Kelly- I am also amazed at the nations that need our grain and support bemoaning or actually hating us. Talk about biting the hand.

Prayers need to be brought to the forefront for the nation...you are correct and thank you for you comment!