"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Dozen Things

or so have kept me away from the computer...
I went to town and smiled at this restaurant's boast~I suppose I need to make some inquiries to see if this is true!
 
I am busy with sunsets in NM  as they continue to take my breath away.

We have been hiking...




We worked on the floors a bit in the room that houses  the library...and we still need to finish the trim on the shelf and make baseboards.
 
I have been making salads in mason jars. Oh what a simple idea that keeps the salad fresh! This is such an easy way to pack the lunches for the week~
 

I was frightened in the garden by this critter. He was buried up to his head and all I saw were his eyes~which I thought were the eyes of an eViL rattler...I may have to confess at this point how VERY afraid I am of rattlesnakes~yep. I can't help it.
 
We have been eating a bit of squash again this year.  I am almost ready to begin the summer squash challenge. So far we have been enjoying the squash sliced and fried in butter with salt and pepper, but I know we will tire of this-then another year of the squash creative recipes will begin in earnest!
 
The garden has been keeping me busy...in this photo: endive, kale, parsley, cilantro, patty pan squash, zucchini, Great Lakes lettuce, spinach, and flowering arugula which I am drying as we have decided we are not an arugula family(no worries, the sheep LOVE it).


I am still wondering what our mystery squash plant is. I did not plant this and yet here it is with squash growing on it...the squash is yellow and green...oh and yes the tomato plant on the left is dying. Our tomatoes are failing miserably this year.

My Fourth and I have been playing a bit of games. She is a delight and makes her dad and I happy.

This guy and his minions are out all over...and I am always alert monitoring the ground looking for these slithering things as well as tarantulas~and RATTLESNAKES. In case I have not made mention of my snake issue, I may have a mild snake a phobia. I am not going to look up what the actual phobia is, as I find that too scary!
 
Oh I must close with what keeps me most busy.  I am really learning to rest in the beauty around me.  I am appreciating the amazing surroundings, thanking God for my family, and enjoying the summer. 

I pray my readers are doing the same.  Stay tuned for the Squash Recipe Challenge of 2012!

 

8 comments:

Gayle said...

What is that thing all coiled up? Ewww. And double ewww to snakes and spiders. That is the one great benefit to my state...no such creatures.

So you make the salad in the jar and just put it in the fridge. How long does it keep? What a clever idea.

No sunsets here, but they aren't too far off. Thanks for sharing your beautiful sky.

Susan said...

Enjoyed.

kymber said...

oh Jen - you HAVE been busy!!! i love those salad in the jars idea - nifty - and i will be stealing the idea - bahahahah! Fourth is such a beautiful girl! your harvest looks lovely but what is wrong with the tomatoes? and yes - i hate snakes too - icky!

much love to you and the DN crew! your friend,
kymber

lotta joy said...

Rattlesnakes and scorpions. I doubt I could walk in the yard, tend to my plants OR put on my shoes without shaking them and banging them on the floor. yikes.

Amish Stories said...

You almost lost me after the burger sign, just kidding and very nice images. Richard

ProudHillbilly said...

Very cool!

And I love those big millipedes, although I hate centipedes with a passion.

Humble wife said...

Gayle- at this point the salad keeps at least a week-and is as fresh and tasty as the day I made it. As to longer, I dont know as we eat them!

Susan! :)

Kymber- I am lost about my tomatoes...I will try to resolve but am content with the rest of the harvest!

Richard-lol!

PH-I think I am creeped out by pretty much all of the slinking slittering critters lol!

Paloma said...

You have such a great blog!!! I love it!! I am sooo happy I found you! I read your comment on "Skippy's Vegetable Garden" about how you... or... we, Mexicans, eat pepinos!!! :) I just shared with her a recipe to make "Agua De Pepino" I hope she tries it!

Oh! I can't wait to read some more of your blog!! I love it that you have a "free Bible" button! That's awesome! what a neat idea... do you do this by yourself? or is there an organization that gives them away? I think it's wonderful! ok... sorry...you don't even know me! LOL! ... My name is Paloma and I am a fellow blogger... I blog mostly about food but also about family, friendship, God, books, etc... life in general! ;) I hope I'll see you by my blog "The Coffee Shop" soon... :)