"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, June 25, 2012

What's on the Menu Monday with a Recipe and a Review!

I made corn cakes a few days ago and thought I would share my thoughts about the recipe I tried.

I found the recipe for corn cakes on Mennonite Girls Can Cook. 
Corn cakes cooking on the comal!
Recipe copied from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard ( I forgot to add dry mustard )
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups corn, cooked and drained
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Method:
In a medium size bowl combine dry ingredients with grated cheese and set aside.
In another bowl whisk together corn, buttermilk, egg, and melted butter.
Pour corn mixture over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened, like you would for a muffin batter.
Scoop batter for each cake on a hot grill (350ยบ) which has been lightly greased.
They will spread a bit so no need to flatten them.
Cook for 4 or 5 minutes on one side, until brown at the edges, flip and cook another 4 minutes.
Yield: 7 cakes


Results:  I loved the corn cakes!  I forgot to take a photo of the cakes when they were finished so please click over to the Mennonite Girls Can Cook recipe link  and see a lovely photo of how they look when they are cooked.  They truly tasted like a corn tortilla with texture! When I made the corn cakes I served them with a spaghetti pasta, carrots, and watermelon.

I have two ideas on how I want to serve the corn cakes in the future and I will be sure to update this post when I do.   First I want to serve them with salsa on them(as the recipe suggested) as they have such a flair in flavor. My second recipe I want to make with this is a corn cake made into a pie crust topped with cooked taco meat covered in cheese and baked until cooked. I then will use salsa and sour cream on top. Oh and I think I will replace the parsley with cilantro!

This concludes What's on the Menu Monday! 


2 comments:

kymber said...

dear sweet Jennifer - i have only one thing to say which is -


I WANT SOME OF THOSE CORNCAKE PIES TOPPED WITH TACO MEAT, CHEESE, CILANTRO, SALSA AND SOUR CREAM!!!

sorry for all of the yelling. that is all. teehee!

your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Kymber~You have to yell sometimes, I mean Canada is so far away!! <3 ya my Friend!