"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day

It is hard to put into words what Memorial Day means to me. As I reflect upon those that gave their all, I think of a 29 year old woman that was handed this flag. Pregnant with her sixth child, tending to the needs of her five children, the weight of this flag must have nearly crippled her. Never forget that behind every soldier that paid the ultimate price, his or her family carried on.
My mom holding me, with my brothers and sisters (Peter-2, John- 3, David-4, Liz-4, and Cathy 5).

Captain David P. Gibson...thank you.
I have loved you all my life and missed you just as long,
Love,
Jenny
 

8 comments:

Maria said...

Such a poignant post...*hugz* from Australia

russell1200 said...

Those of us who are home and safe with our families can be thankful for those of us who are not.

kymber said...

dear Jen - that pic of your Mom always gets me. she looks so graceful and all of the kids are dressed so smartly. i don't know how much strength it would take to have been in her shoes....but i get glimpses of her amazing strength through you.

i thank your father from the bottom of my heart for his sacrifice. i also thank your Mom for her sacrifice.

your friend,
kymber

Anonymous said...

hugs,
LizinNY

Gayle said...

I can't imagine how strong she had to be to carry on... you were all so young. I'm so sorry.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I can not say I know what your mom went thru but I can imagine it was hard, very hard. Love and huggles.

Rhonda said...

Sending hugs to you on this Memorial Day in honor of those you have lost and in memory of those that stood strong in the midst of their agony of loss ....

Carrie said...

Wow, thank you for sharing. There are no words.