"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, March 1, 2012

No Fire Departments were summoned

although the burning smell could have teased even the giant hook and ladder truck to the farm!

I tried for the first time to make horehound candy. It is a simple recipe calling for honey, water, dried horehound, and molasses.

I used exact measurements.
I used a candy thermometer.
The burnt smell may be here forever.

Will I try again?

You bet! I now know one way how not to make horehound candy! Lessons are not always about how to do things, but also how not to do things.

Oh and yes, in case you are wondering~that burning smell is the Double Nickel!

5 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Oh well! if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Humble wife said...

Michelle- exactly!! :)

Sue said...

lol Wasn't it Edison who said he learned 999 ways how not to make a light bulb?

keepinitruralinthemidwest said...

Of all the things I've learned in my life, I know the majority of things learmed is the what "not" to do. Ain't life wonnerful ;)

Sassy

Humble wife said...

lol Sue- Of course in no measure can I even be remotely compared to Edison!! :)

Sassy- so very true-and so important for our survival!! Yep life is indeed wonderful!!!!