"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Our Weekend~

Our weekend has been busy! From the moment Bill came home on Friday night
I had gate duty~ and took this time to share our mountains as Bill drove through the gates! I know the name of these mountains but between you and me~ I call them my mountains and sometimes forget the other name!


Two of our ewes. Ruth is on the left and Esther on the right! Ruthie is the momma of Laura and Lizzie, the lambs born this past week! Esther has a bit to go before she delivers.


We made German pancakes several times this past week as well as for the weekend , as it is easy to make. The recipe is simple. 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 6 eggs, 1 tsp salt mixed together- Butter a 9x13 inch pan and bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes. Pour your homemade syrup on and enjoy!

Oh~and we finished tiling and then applying the grout in the dining room. We have enjoyed this part of the job. Rebuilding and firming up the subfloors-well that was hard~ I can't wait until we are finished!

The outdoor cats had a bit of a fight. They are actually about 6 feet up, but the dogs kind of get involved in any fights on the ground, so this one was battled out in the rafters. Grey-the grey cat(yes we are awesome animal namers) lost. BB, the black kitty has reigned supreme as top Tom on the farm. His name was Butterball, when we thought he was a female. Kind of changed his name after seeing him grow into such a giant Tom! Grey rarely comes close to the house anymore, since BB has gotten so big, and now I know why!

Oh I had to run some errands. I thought I would share how the drive to my house from the south looks. Near the arrow is the farm-of course about 30 or so miles from where this photo was taken.

My Fourth and the pups. Aren't they tiny? I am hoping they decide to grow as what will we do with such itty bitty work dogs?! They are both almost 1. Sampson in the beginning of March and Delilah at the end of March. And yes, that is BB strolling through the photo!

By the way, this is how the pups looked last May note the cat on the right as well as the hens! Eating mango's seems to be key in puppy growth!

And here the pups are with Fourth on May 5 of 2011. Time flies on the farm!!

And as the sunset in town at the local Lowe's. I do love sunsets!


Have a great Sunday,
Jennifer

15 comments:

russell1200 said...

Do the puppies chase the kats or are they aclimated to them?

A great Aunt of mine had a German shepard that would growl when you petted him. He had grown up around cats and was trying to purr. It was a little odd having a happy dog growl at you.

Mrs.Rabe said...

If you don't mind my asking, how much DO you feed your dogs per day? That breed is huge, they are beautiful though!

Your sheep are lovely - do you use them for meat, wool, both?

Have a lovely Sunday, Jen!

Deanna

kymber said...

first off - i loooove the new tile - it is sooo beautiful! and i had no idea that puppies need a steady stream of mango in their diets - thanks for the tip - bahahah! as usual, i always enjoy these strolls around your beautiful farm!

your friend,
kymber

Pat in Albuquerque said...

The tile floor looks lovely, and the dogs are so charming! Thanks for showing us these pictures.

Rob In His Bunker said...

Thanks for the update Jennifer. Are you going to use the pups as pack mules?? haha. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

keepinitruralinthemidwest said...

Magnificent views, lovely Ewes, good eats, a finished project that BTW looks fabulous, territorial Toms, cozy ginormous dogs and a breath taking sunset. That looks to me like a well rounded homestead with lots of blessings. Oh, and I know those animals were to just name a few, you are blessed with others too.

A lovely Sunday to you!

Rhonda said...

I love your blog Jennifer, always something going on, the critters galore, the kitchen always smells of good food, and the friendliness is beyong the limits touching of the mountain tops and sky edge...amazing...always love your blog....

Ma said...

Sunsets are beautiful:)

I've never heard of German pancakes, I will have to try it.

Gayle said...

Those dogs are insanely huge. I could not imagine. Millie irritates me, but I don't have the space for her to run that you do so being underfoot drives me nuts.

Humble wife said...

Russell-lol about the dog!! Our dogs know that the cats that are ours are ok. Outside cats struggle to leave fast enough. Grey is kind of middle ground so they kind of tolerate him. We think the previous owner left him here.

Deanna-we feed them about 2.5 cups of feed a day. This is homemade as well as some dry...Purina One with lamb. They get an egg a day too. Oh and we use the sheep for both!


Kymber-thanks and of course mango would be vital- the dogs match us...and are crazy nutty!!

Pat-thank you for visiting!! I am glad you think so!

Rob-not pack mules but Draft Horses!!!

KeepinitRUral-thank you for such a nice comment!!

((Rhonda)) your comment makes me smile. Thank you so much for liking me as I am! As the blog is me as is!

Oh Ma-they are so delicious, and until recently I had not heard of them either. BUt they are so easy to make-and taste so wonderful!

Gayle-they are. Until we let them sneak inside-we forget how large they are. Both dogs noses are higher than the stove top!! And they both believe that they are still pups!!

Sue said...

Your landscape reminds me of the drive from the airport in Alberta to my daughter's in Banff; flat rolling plains turning to foot hills then mountains. Beautiful!

What breed are your livestock gardian dogs? I don't know much about dogs, but fantisize about having a pair of Great Pyraneese (sp?) Yours remind me very much of that breed.

Loved visiting your farm today :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, you're getting lots of comments from me as I catch up so don't think you have to reply to all.:)

Never heard of German pancakes, we are always looking for a quicker breakfast fix. I am imagining eggs so painless and delicious, marvelous share! This added to marriage post makes me want to throw you a great big ole hug! THERE!Consider yourself hugged!

We had a rose colored sunset day before yesterday, awesome, I'd love to see more of yours.
matermusearts.wordpress.com

Humble wife said...

Sue the dogs are indeed Great Pyrenees and they are wonderful! Thanks for swinging by!

Mater-aww, thank you. I need to zip over and visit also. I need to make a tab with my wordpress favs as I have gotten to slack with my blogger reader. Thank you for the hug, I will give one back!! And the breakfast is sooo soo easy to make, and the kids love it!

Glenn B said...

Wow, trespassers beware!

Humble wife said...

Glenn!! No kidding~no matter what style, 2 legged or 4 legged...all should be cautious!!