"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, February 9, 2012

One year ago

I was prepping to head east praying to see mom before she died. I ended up driving through the massive snowstorm and cold spell that crippled the nation. I was able to spend time with mom during her last days, and for that I am thankful.

This is one of the posts I wrote last February, dated February 9, 2011.


Dear Mom

I am heading east tomorrow-praying for safe travels and that I am able to say I love you once more. For all you have done for me, there are not enough words. I love that my love of reading and of writing comes from you. I love that I am so creative as I learned that from you as well. I see you when I look upon my hands as they seem to be your hands (minus the freckles).

I love your freckles and select all things with freckles to surround me~even farm animals.

I love remembering how you would read to us when we were kids.

I love you for your children who have made my life a goofy, fun filled life as they are, as you are~ and as I am. Thanks to all and to the ones that were of the yours~ mine~ and ours, that became a part of us all...Caroline, Cathy, David, Liz, John, Pete, and Anna...

Thank you for giving your all~even when you had to do so alone as Dad died so young.

I love you forever...
I love you always.

Jenny

Thank you so much for life, as I have had an incredible one because of you. My next words of thanks are from Bill and the children who, because of you~ have life and have me in their lives. Oh I love you and pray you have a chance at least to hear these words. All is well and home is not here but with Him, and He is waiting for His faithful servants.

14 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh how I wish that I could have had such a treasure as yours to have that one last "living" momemt with Craig before he crossed over....Thanksgiving 1996 was the last holiday I spent with my 22 yr old son ... he died in an MVA on the night of12-18-96...I had called him the day he died to let him know that Bridget his cousin which we all were like one huge family ...had a baby girl..Caitlyn born on the 17th ..our family was rich in new life and joy... on the 18th...that joy was taken away by the death of my son....
God has absolutely picked up this family and carried us for the last 15 years....O'Tis sweet to trust in Jesus

Sassy said...

That was beautiful HW, thanks for sharing it once more. God Bless you.

kymber said...

the story of your Mother being pregnant with you, and losing her husband, is always one that i have a hard time addressing. because it is not a story. it happened. for real.

i don't know how much strength your Mother had but it must have been a lot. it lives on inside of you and all that you have dealt with in your life.

and telling you thank you for your strength and forebearance and beautiful friendship is the only way that i know to honour your Mother.

thank you Jenny.

your friend,
kymber

DebbieLynne said...

That's powerful!

matermusearts said...

Beautiful

MommySetFree said...

So Sweet!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen - a year. It seems like yesterday. Thank you and all my sisters and brothers who have helped me come to grips and peace with Mom. Love you
Caroline

HossBoss said...

A beautiful letter, Jen. I think one of the most important things your four children will say they learned from you is how to love with a whole heart.

Maria said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother Jennifer. I'm sure that your children would say similar things about your mothering of them as you have all those attributes too :-)

Humble wife said...

Rhonda-it is only through Him we are able to carry forth and be strong. He truly is our hope. I am so sorry you lost your son so young, but tis sweet indeed to trust in Jesus.(((hugs)))

Sassy-thank you. For me it is part of the healing. I had no idea being with one when they died would be with one forever.

Kymberloney-only tears with such a sweet comment. I thank you so much for our friendship!!

Debbie-it was and still is. Thank you.

Muse-yes, and will always be. thank you!

Mommy-yes, for she gave me a lifetime of strength...thank you.

(((Carrie)))I think the final act of a mother is telling. She brought us all together and that for me brings tremendous peace. I am forever happy that I have my sisters and brothers in my life. Thank you for brightening these past 12 months and I look forward to our really golden years-sharing, loving, and laughing.
<3 you my sister.

HB-that indeed would be a powerful thing for me to think about. Oh ((huggles)) to you my friend!

Maria-(((huggles)) to you too my friend. Oh such kind words from such a wise woman!

Mrs.Rabe said...

I remember this time...I was thankful then, and now for you that you were able to be with her.

Deanna

Humble wife said...

Deanna-I am too. Boy more than ever, am I happy that I had this time with her.

russell1200 said...

My father has cancer and is not likely to live long. I was going to go visit him in SC by myself, but my family (particularly the little one) rebelled and insisted I wait until next weekend when they can go.

Humble wife said...

(((Russell)))-sounds like a good trip to do together. I am sorry to hear about your dad, and pray he has Peace and Comfort in his last days. May you have safe travels when you go.