"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Year on the Farm

Well hotdog! Leap year on the farm has been exciting! Nellie, the LaMancha has given birth to twins! Remember~this is a farm blog...so critter birth photos are uncut and showing how life is.

Nellie with her twins. I love how the little's are wobbly legged when they are born. So cute. If you remember Norm-the papa, was black...so it was neat to have a white one and a black one. Norm is no more as he loved my gardens as much as I do, so we sold him to a butcher. On the farm we now call our flooring Norm or even Mr. Ham(the ram) or Mrs. Ham(the ewe) as they financed the overhaul. Fortunately, Norm provided nicely in the kidding!
On all fours at last!! Yes, that is afterbirth. I am fairly certain the black one is a female. Waiting to see on the white one.

Nellie is doing a good job so far!

High Fives from Delilah to Fourth! Yay

And because I can~ I am adding a cuteness photo. Lizzie and Laura enjoying dinner time with the big girls!


Happy Leap Year from the Double Nickel

9 comments:

Glenn B said...

I do miss my visits to my uncle Ken's and Aunt Glenese's farm. It was great but they were forced to sell many years ago when she became ill and had to move to their condo in FL fulltime because they had health insurance through the owner's association. I drive by it now and again but it is not the same anymore with the new owner and the cattle she has on it. My uncle had more of a hodge podge of critters, blueberries (u-pick) and Christmas trees. I don't know iof he ever sold a tree but he sold plenty of blueberries. His chickens and porkers tasted great ad of course he had his farm pets too.

I think you have a tough but good life. Enjoy it all you can.

All the best,
GB

Humble wife said...

Glenn,
Sounds like you had great times at your aunt and uncle's place! Hodge podge seems to be a good description of their farm as well as ours. I think diversity is the key-seems like the big corporations specialized and that is where problems began. I see it time and time again in chicken farms, pig farms, cattle farms, and even corporations specializing in the agricultural end.

Diversity allows for soil to recoup, and has a balance. The chickens go through every pen and clean up. The different poo's help both the gardens, the compost, and the native vegetation to grow in balance and not allow one thing to maximize the waste/droppings.

And not to sound proud~I confess I know I have a great life. It is work to make it happen, but it is productive and provides so much. Bill and I plan to enjoy this and continue as long as God allows.

Take care friend,
Jennifer

Rhonda said...

I used to have a goat and she gave birth to twins...and she was a piteful momma...she would not let them nurse so I had to be momma and oh how I fell in love with those two baby goats ..they would follow me around always bleating for me to feed them...nudging me to go get their bottles ...I loved it .......

Sue said...

Oh my! You make me ache to get started on our little property. You have milk and soft cheese for the next year or 2, yay! And the kids are sooo cute.

If I can be so bold can you post more photos of those georgous dogs? Or direct me to a post where you already did?

I'm so happy to have found your blog (thanks to Kymber :-)

Sue said...

Me again. Just wanted to say that polyculture rocks!

kymber said...

oh they are so super cute!!! but i feel bad for them as they will not get to celebrate their birthdays every year. nope, they only have a birthday every 4 years. poor little things - bahahahahah!

love the pics jen! your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Rhonda- I know the feeling. We have had to nurse some of our lambs and kids. Sometimes one will be rejected and those babies are more pets than farm critter!!

Sue, I usually do a monthly update on the dogs as I never knew how fast they grew. I will soon for you, my new friend!!! ((hugs)And yes, I love my diverse little place as it makes for a wonderful life! thank you!!

Kymber-hahaha so funny poor critters will lose out on cake etc because of a human barrier!! argh...or maybe I will have to spoil them more!!

oxox

Gayle said...

What an adventure. I don't think it is one I would undertake. A lot of birthing happens here when it is cold...my neighbor's pig just birthed 10 piglets (plus 5 stillborn). It was -20* yesterday. Too much stress for me to handle, but I bet it is fun in warmer climates. Enjoy!!

Humble wife said...

Gayle- In the heat of the year is when I am worried for my critters- such as twenty plus days or more of over 100 degrees with the dry heat. I am busy filling waters and making sure that all are good, so believe me, each region comes with unique concerns.