"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, February 3, 2012

2012 Books


This is a post that I am placing on the side bar to have a record of books I am reading over the year. This post will be updated often.
  1. Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving Edited by Judi Kingry and Lauren Devine. 2006 L I ended up liking this book so much-that I bought one to have on the farm!
  2. Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two by Beth Hensperger. 2007 L I enjoyed this book and found many easy recipes to double for the family. Excellent!
  3. Jewish Holiday Treats Recipes and Crafts for the Whole Family by Joan Zoloth. 2000 L Lots of neat projects for the family as well as some neat recipes!
  4. Celebrating the Jewish New Year The Winter Holidays by Paul Steinberg. 2007 L This was a great book to help understand the Feasts of the Bible.
  5. Celebrating the Jewish Holidays Poems, Stories, Essays Edited by Steven J. Rubin. 2003 L I confess that after a few chapters, I was unable to stay interested. I did not finish this book.
  6. Treasures of the Heart Holiday Stories that Reveal the Soul of Judaism by Diane Wolkstein. 2003 L Sadly, I did not finish this book either. I selected different stories and if they were slow,I would skip. I guess this wasn't so bad, as I could immediately read another.
  7. Flowers in the Kitchen A Bouquet of Tasty Recipes by Susan Belsinger. 1991: * 1 This is an excellent book!! I have reread this twice and know it will become a well used cookbook!
  8. The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall and David Manuel. 1977:*2
  9. Genetically Engineered Food Changing the Nature of Nature by Teitel, Wilson 2001. *3
  10. Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest: Mexican 2012. Magazine*4
  11. DIY Projects for the Self Sufficient Homeowner Creative Publishing International. 2011*5
  12. Utah Blaine Louis Lamour I have read this before, but love the simple ease of a LL book. *6
  13. The Honey Prescription by Nathanial Altman. 2010. L This book had many wonderful ways to use honey in healing ways. I made many notes.
  14. Native American Crafts and Skills. David Montgomery. 2000. L I was looking for some southwest ideas for some projects for the fair. I thought the book was nice, but did not have any ideas that I liked.
  15. Tasha Tudor's Old-Fashioned Gifts. Tasha Tudor and Linda Allen. 1979. L Neat book of fun crafts to make with a daughter or granddaughter. Many simple crafts that can be made for little or no money.
  16. Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies. 2010. L  Common sense book...
  17. Quick and Easy Gourd Crafts. Mickey Basket. 2005. L Thankful I picked this book, as I have never worked with gourds before and have several I grew last summer that need to be crafted into something!
  18. Organic Gardening Without Poisoning. Hamilton Tyler. 1970. L  Lots of information. Nice to reaffirm much of what we have been doing.
  19. The Healing Power of Food. By the Editors of Prevention Magazine. 1991. L Did not really get into this book.
  20. A Brief History of New Mexico. Myra Ellen Jenkins, Albert H. Shroeder. 1974. *7 I love this book!
  21. Banners and Flags Margot Carter Blair, Cathleen Ryan. 1977. L The time era made this book kind of your That 70's Show.
  22. Crocheting for Dummies. editor Karen Manthey. 2004. L This was not as simple as one would expect. I wanted to venture into a few new stitches. I found on line tutorials better.
  23. America's Best Cross Stitch. editor Gerald M. Knox. 1988. L This was a wonderful book, as I am one that loves to get ideas.
  24. The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns. Jimmy Beyer. 2009. LThis was a wonderful book, as I am one that loves to get ideas.
  25. The McCall's Book of America's Favorite Needlework & Crafts. 1976. LThis was a wonderful book, as I am one that loves to get ideas.
  26. Glorious Country. Liz Trigg, Tessa, Evelegh, Stewart and Sally Walton. 1995.L Lots of great ideas, simple and elegant.
  27. The Historian's Toybox. Eugene F. Provenzo Jr., Asterie Baker Provenzo. 1979. L Loved this book and it shared how to make the toys too!
  28. American's Folk Toys. Dick Schnacke. 1974. L  I loved this book too. Bill decided he would like to try and make several of these toys for the grandbabies when they start arriving.
  29. Craft, Cookery, and Country Living. Kim Victoria Abeles. 1976. L Kind of dated, and not a fav.
  30. The Holy Land.Edited by Time Life Books.1992.L Boy, I really enjoyed this book. It was not written in any religious way, in fact more so presuming God was a myth, but the photos and the history for one that has read His Holy word was such a reinforcer!
  31. The Mystery of the Pyramids. Humphrey Evans. 1979.L I thought this would be fun to go through and I was correct. Lots of photos, much speculation about the Pyramids, but all and all interesting.
  32. The Messianic Prophecies of the Bible. Herbert Lockyear. 1973.L I am back and forth on the Lockyear series. I found this one ok.
  33. Daily Life in Ancient Mespotamia. Karen Rhea Nemet-Nejat. 1998.L This was an interesting book, although had some thoughts I do not match the historical details.
  34. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Edward Gibbon 1960.L I would LOVE to own this book!
  35. The Hittites. J.G.MacQueen. 1975.L I began my Biblical journey trying to find historical proof and the Hittites were one of the first groups I studied. Interesting but I honestly did not finish this book.
  36. Life in Year One.Scott Korb.2010.L Unimpressed did not finish.
  37. Ancient Canaan and Israel. Jonathan M. Golden.2004.L Was an interesting read.
  38. Commentary on the Torah. Richard Elliot Friedman. 2003.L  I struggled with this as I read from right to left. Funny how easy it was to convert the world from reading the word the way established by God.
  39. Life in Ancient Rome. Lesley Adkins, Roy Adkins. 1994.L Another good book, very interesting and helpful in my studies.
  40. Better Basics For the Home. Annie Berthold-Bond. 1999. L This is a good book need to check out again.
  41. The Oxford book of Christian Verse. Edited by Lord David Cecil. 1940.L I found this book pretty amazing. I love poetry and this was a compilation of ages ago poetry!
  42. A Different Jesus. The Christ of the Latter Day Saints. Robert Millet. L
  43. Land of My Heart. Tracy Peterson. L I could not really get into this book.
  44.  How to Make Braided Rugs. L. I am so glad I did not see this book before I attempted to make a braided rug, as it would have discouraged me.
  45. Louis Lamour biography. L.  Not impressed as I pretty much knew what was shared and it was basically what was already in his books.
  46. The Encyclopedia of Stitches with 245 stitches illustrated and 24 projects!! L. Wonderful book chock full of information!
  47.  His Name is Yahweh. Neil Snyder. Online download.   I enjoyed this book a good deal.
  48. The Harbinger. Jonathan Cahn. Charisma House Book Group. 2011. L Incredible Book...I suggest to ALL Christians.
  49. Celebrate the Season Used book missing beginning pages with printing information. Gooseberry Patch. I like the recipes in this book.*8
  50. Country Cooking American Cooking. Time Life Books. 1989 * 9 Oh a great book with fun neat recipes!!
  51. Bible History of the Old Testament. Alfred Edersheim. Hendrickson Publishers. Peabody Massachusetts. 1995 *10 I have owned this book for years and am beginning to read it straight through. I have read a bit here or there when studying the Bible but never straight through. So far I am enjoying it and wish I had done this a while ago!
L= Public Library
*=found used either book sale, thrift store, yardsale or online used, with price
1. 2012 $1.00
2. 2010 a book I picked up to read and never read~it begins quite powerful!
3. 2012 $.50 yardsale online
4. 2012 I confess this was an impulse buy. I usually never do this...as it was new~well aside from this and a few things~
5. 2012 I bought this book too. I am not too embarrassed although I prefer bargains, this book has been a wonderful thing to give ideas on new projects.
6. We own almost all of the Louis Lamour collection. I love them and periodically reread them.
7. Bought this at a yard sale  8. From a thrift store.  *9 Bought from a Bookstore years ago. 



Photo Information: The photo is of our rescue kitty Lainey. She looks frustrated as she is so done with the paparazzi. She is on top of a collection of books I have from Random House called Landmark Books. I always bought used and really liked how they were informative yet a easy to read. We have about twenty-five in this series-and almost all of them were printed in the 1950's.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I list the books I read for that year on my sidebar. Already have 2 for this year that I need to post about and get up there :o) Read 16 last year. Wonder what my number will be this year? I don't have a goal, just love to read.

Humble wife said...

Susan- I have never done this before, but am intrigued by the idea of keeping a tally of what I do. I love to read and am sure that this will fill in fast!

Gayle said...

I love books, too, although I never pick one up. I'm an all or nothing gal so if I start reading I have to finish it so with my life as it is now reading is out. (Other than blogs...and I'd kind of like reading real life stuff as opposed to fiction anyhow). I'm in a love-hate relationship with my Nook. I'm loving the idea of it and hating that it's been used for nothing but Angry Birds by my kids. LOL

Cute cat, btw.

Humble wife said...

Gayle- I will let my paparazzi kitty hear of your kind words~

I had heard of the Angry Birds and never knew of the source. Now I know. With your wee ones I understand your time is short. I have more time as mine are older. Blog reading is somewhat like reading journals, which is a cultural reading for sure. I think your littles would like the Little House Series, and the Great Brain series. Yes, one is more geared towards girls and the other boys, but I read them aloud to the kids and enjoyed them myself. They are from the kids perspective and are full of honest, clean life instead of what our kids are assaulted with daily-even from Scholastic books.