"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, January 19, 2012

This, That and The Other

The weather in New Mexico has been lovely and so I have been enjoying January days and less online. I do have a few things to share about this, that and the other...

Nothing special about popcorn~usually~but this popcorn is from my food storage and is 4 years old. So how did it taste? Absolutely delicious and fresh! I did not buy any special prepacked popcorn. I bought 50 lbs of popcorn~stored it in the freezer for 48 hours, and then packed the corn in a food grade bucket. I picked up my bucket from a local restaurant(free), washed it and sealed the corn in it. The lids still have the O rings which allow for the lid to be closed tightly.

Dinner tonight was chicken wraps, Spanish rice, and beans. What is special about this meal is that we eat this style meal often~beans, rice and tortillas. The wraps were filled with cooked chicken, spinach, tomatoes, avocados, and cheese~




This photo was taken in June. Third and itty bitty Samson.

This photo I took the other day, that Great Pyrenees grow so fast continues to amaze me!


The other thing happening on the farm is that I built a larger laundry room! Me~all by myself! I will take photos to share so please stay tuned!

13 comments:

HossBoss said...

The meal looks delicious, HW ...and I love your plates! How do the Great Pyrenees fare in the heat of summer? I love the breed, love the temperament, but even our slick-coated Boxer suffered in the heat here last summer.

Can't wait to see pictures of the laundry room you built!

: )

Rocky Mountain Homemaker said...

It may be impolite, but I'm inviting myself over for dinner! That looks fantastic. Like you, we eat lots of beans and rice. If I'm in a hurry, tostadas are my go to meal. Corn tortilla, covered with chopped onions and pinto beans (rice if I have it handy), covered with cheese, baked till the cheese is browned. Just add salsa and everyone is happy.
Jennifer, will you please share your Spanish rice recipe? I don't have a very good one.
Sorry I haven't stopped by quite so frequently lately. I have discovered the wonder of Pinterest. So many ideas, so little time!
Have a wonderful weekend........Denise

Family Chatter said...

Why, oh WHY does your container of popcorn look like such a 'comfort food' on this bitterly cold Wisconsin day? Because it is that-- COMFORT food. I'm going to do it!... Pop!Pop!Pop! in a few minutes. Brownies yesterday, popcorn today-- this works! The pictures of your handsome son with the uba beautiful dog-- so special! When I saw your label about the 'popcorn popping/apricot tree', well,... the tune for that song will be in my head all day. But, that's a good thing, too. Love the postings of your thoughts-- you're a good writer-- you... GO!!!! Doris

Madge @ The View From Right Here said...

Love those pup shots! I like your header quote... I love Dr. Rogers. Also you ask about linking to give away Bibles, do you have an icon and the url that I could use to do that for you? I could put it in my sidebar... Lord bless you for giving away the Word!

Humble wife said...

HB-the Pups did very well. We bought 2 kiddie swimming pools for 15 each and they played and jumped in and played and jumped in. As we have the animals-they had access to water in all the pens, and around here and there for the wandering hens. Although they are furry they did well!!

Denise-well of course all are welcome to sit and dine with the Double Nickel family! I would love to have you visit!Yes, I will share the recipe, it is Bill's mom's recipe and I have used it for 23 years. I am addicted to it and sometimes eat Spanish rice for breakfast. I will try and either find a place I posted it, or post again!

Oh Doris- I have followed the weather and felt for you, as we have been sunshiny and in the mid to high 60's. As to the popcorn popping song, my in laws are LDS, and I picked up a few songs. I love that song ever so much! Thank you so much for your kind words!

Madge-I just link to my sidebar post. You could copy the photo and do the same if you wish, or add on your side bar free bibles and link to the post. I haven't ever tried to make a little linky photo although I love them. And I thank you for your kind words, I pray that the Lord bless those that ask and receive His word, that they receive Salvation eternal.

kymber said...

i'm with RMH and am inviting myself to dinner - and i want exactly the meal pictured - oh yum. just to die for. and i must have the spanish rice recipe as well. i would hate to end a friendship over something so simple. but i will. teehee. must have recipe!

Third is gorgeous and i really love the new haircut. please tell him that!

as always, it is a very dreamy part of my day when i visit the DN Farm. it's nice to travel to places far and away. thank you Jennifer!

your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Oh Kymber-I would never risk a friendship such as ours. I will compile a post~post haste! Oh for Third...he was working outside and I am not sure he even considered his hair~Bill had him helping taking poles out and it was very warm. But I will let him know.

Oh and YAY, you must travel far and away someday!
xoxoxxo

Mystic Mud said...

mmm- your wraps sound delish! Avocados are a treat around here at $1.39 each (ouch!!), but I am from CA where as a kid they were so cheap we just cut them open, took the pit out and filled the hole with some mayo, salt and pepper and ate it with a spoon...good memories:)

Humble wife said...

Oh Mystic I am so sorry that they are so expensive. We live so close to growers that we get them like you did in CA. We can buy 3-4 avocados for a dollar, so we do!

Mystic Mud said...

My dad lives in AZ for the winters, and he just loves to rub it in that they are 5 for $1.00 down there....so mean!! Even if I can't get them that hceap I'm glad for you guys:)

Humble wife said...

Awww Mystic!You are such a sweetie!

Susan said...

Catching up on my blog reading. I love popcorn!!! Your mexican style meal looks sooo good.

Humble wife said...

Susan-oh I love popcorn too...and the meal-delicious as always!