"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh that's okay, I make lamb*

When we moved to the farm and began raising Navajo Churro sheep we began the journey of learning how to cook lamb/sheep. Last night I made ground lamb meatballs which my family ate as is, not in a sandwich or in a sauce. The recipe calls for
1~two eggs
2~1/4 cup mustard
3~1/4 cup honey
4~1/8 tsp garlic powder
5~1/8 tsp cumin
6~1/8 tsp ginger
7~2/3 cup of bread crumbs
8~ 2lbs lean ground lamb

Now I mixed it all together and cooked it at 275F for 45 minutes. The honey and mustard was to be a dipping sauce but I was multi tasking and mixed it all together. BEST mistake ever! This is a repeat lamb recipe!

*I loved this line from the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding :
Aunt Voula: What do you mean he don't eat no meat?
[the entire room stops, in shock]
Aunt Voula: Oh, that's okay. I make lamb.

***and I knew someday I would be able to use it somewhere!

15 comments:

Rocky Mountain Homemaker said...

Your lamb looks delicious.
We rarely eat lamb. We live in beef country and I try to keep our red meat eating minimal.
Wolves have decimated the deer population, which is a shame because we typically eat a lot of wild game. Fortunately there is a season for wolf hunting.
I love My Big, Fat Greek Wedding!........Denise

kymber said...

it's a pretty slow day here too, my spicey friend! loved this post - bahahahah!

your friend, kymber

debbieo said...

My girls were asking for meatballs today.
We ate lamb stew at Jeff's dads some time ago and it was good. I think he thought we would freak out but we just asked for seconds.
debbieo

Gayle said...

I say wear those pajamas all day!! :) I don't think I've ever seen that movie.

Sassy said...

Just love it & I LOVE Big Fat Greek Wedding! The meatballs sound really good.

Humble wife said...

Denise-I really do like My Big Fat Greek Wedding for the silly one liners. Yes I am glad you have a wolf hunt. We had a bad year with the bobcats and coyotes due to last winter, so I understand populations being decimated.

Kymber-lol, for me a tad under the weather. Kind of a lingering one where I am sluggish. Sigh...xoxox

Debbie-new things are sometimes different but easy to adapt to. We never had lamb before the farm as it was too pricey but it is common now, to the surprise of Bill and I:)

Gayle- if you like comedy silly chick flicks this is a good movie. Not so much on the sappy romance as much as a bunch of goofy one liners. And oh I am thankful for pjs!

Sassy- I knew you would say you loved My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!! :)

Ma said...

I've never had lamb.

It's on the to-do list:)

Amish Stories said...

Ive not had very much lamb in my diet and i do look foward to all of your recipes for 2012. Richard

Mrs. Mac said...

We never had lamb when I was growing up. Your recipe looks great .. might try it with a mix of pork/beef or turkey.

That is a perfect line for your post.

Mommy Set Free said...

We raise Blackbelly Barbadoes Sheep and I am always looking for good recipes! :-) I'll try it next time we butcher! Thanks.

Humble wife said...

Ma- it is a good list to do :)

Richard-why thank you!

Mrs. Mac-yum, I think I will try it with turkey next! thankyou for the idea

Mommy set free- I ended up collecting old cookbooks to find recipes that sounded ok for lamb. Well spent for a few dollars has given me many lamb recipes.

Maria said...

That lamb dish sounds yummy!

Humble wife said...

Yes Maria it was~ :)

Michelle said...

"What do you mean he don't eat No meat...Oh, that's okay. I make lamb" I had that thought in my head this morning...coincidence? LOL.

Humble wife said...

Oh Michelle!LOL! me too by the way!!