"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Did you ever

do something because it reminded you of your childhood? My mom made a train set that would fold up on the wall like a Murphy bed. On the bottom she painted every state where each child was born. I loved it. I always knew in my home I would do something like that.

Many years ago we bought a pine table and benches. I began adding where each of us where born and down the center added two food scriptures. I was not a Christian so I used a Bible on hand not knowing the many versions that exist in the world. I have not changed anything aside from adding several years ago all the places we have lived along the edges. Thankfully we have only moved 34 times so the places we lived fit around the edges.*I was playing around on picnik dot com and kind of liked how this showed all the nicks and cuts. This table has been the school table for 18 years as well as the breakfast~lunch~and dinner table. Many family memories are affixed to this table. In fact many forts have been built under this table!

Thought I would share this again. This is a simple remedy to hang work gloves. It is a yard stick cut in half with glued on clothespins. We use gloves every day on the farm to feed, work on projects, as well as gardening. Extra pairs await any day workers that show up for in trade items (farm fresh meats or eggs). My gloves~on the bottom right are the garden gloves and the turquoise gloves. Gloves are kind of big for me so I ended up using children's garden gloves. I have the turquoise gloves because I do live in New Mexico, and they match my Crocs!


On the table are some granny squares I am working on. I have never made a granny square quilt but decided in 2012 I am going to.

To maintain my theme of being careful to use it up, wear it out, make it do, I am sharing what a farm sheet looks like. And yes, the cat is just about to roll off the bed. She was attacking playing with me as I was putting the freshly solar dried sheet on the bed. Many may scoff at repairing something to the point that the repair takes place of the item, but for me it is about being debt free. By the way, the sheet does match the rest of the bedding~

This is a blanket I sewed about five years ago. All of the denim is from pants that the children, Bill or I wore. I have saved from the point we married cutting pieces out and putting them in a box collecting until I had enough squares. For me, home is filled with my creations. It is a place I can set the tone for the family. By the way I do like the simple majestic beauty of Creations. Rough around the edges, imperfect to landscapers but captivating~

Like the view from my front porch. Beautiful, unique, and breathtaking~don't you think?

Now back to an unedited photo of the kitchen table~

In all its glory. Top places are purple- Germany, blue-Utah, brown-Texas, Pink-California, Red-Georgia, and green Germany.

In the King James the verses are:

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

and
Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

*we were active duty military during the Clinton years draw down.The longest we have lived in one place is...drum roll please~the farm!

13 comments:

Susan said...

And your roots are growing DEEP!!!!

Humble wife said...

Thankyou Susan!!

Mystic Mud said...

What a great post - thanks for sharing. I love your creations! I am the same way - if I can make it, fix it, or reuse it - I do. And all of those little imperections in self made creations are what give character to the item made, imo. When we get our house built, or add onto this tin can of ours, and have more wall space, I'm going to use your glove idea - love it!! I made something like that for the kids art work, but never thought of other uses for it!!

Anonymous said...

Love the table! I think it is unique and well used and loved. Your quilt on the bed is really nice. A quilt is supposed to be memories of things.

VA SIS

Mrs.Rabe said...

Love this!

I love making things to and using them to beautify my home!

Deanna

kymber said...

Jen - i am so glad that your roots are growing so deep and in such a beautiful place! i can't believe how many times you have moved - finally having a place to call home must feel like a balm to your soul!

(not sure if you have seen this post but i referred to your table and how it inspired me - http://framboisemanor.blogspot.com/2011/10/our-kitchen-table.html)

i think i will also be copying the hanging gloves idea - ours are always left laying around everywhere!

thanks for always being so inspiring!

your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Mystic- I have always been one to create what I need, but for the past several years it has been because of need, therefore I did what I had to do. Glad you like the glove organizer. It is so easy. I used a hot glue gun to affix the clothespins.

VA Sis...I always call it a blanket. Most certainly not up to par with a quilt! But I do agree-and love to have things surround me that are filled with memories.

Deanna-me too. I should have taken home economics in school but I was a girl of the 70's and 80's and it was my choice. I figured how would I need it? Never realized that I would~

Kymber- I am so sorry to have missed that post. I have gone back and I love your table. You took this to another level...I love how you two are so much like Bill and I. xoxox and ps can't wait to see what you do to make the glove center more amazing!!

Mrs. Mobunny said...

I used to be able to make Granny Squares.....can't do them anymore. Now I just go in circles. That doesn't take a pattern! (love the cat action picture)

Humble wife said...

Michelle- I am hoping to make the granny squares become, but it will take time! And kitty cracked me up as she completely fell off the bed!

Gayle said...

Is the blanket a quilted or lined? I've often thought of sewing squares from worn out clothing, but batting is entirely too high priced. (I feel like a very wasteful person after reading your posts!!).

Humble wife said...

Gayle- I sewed the blanket with three seams across and used a checked piece of fabric I found with no lining. We have a few fleece blankets under this and this is the cover!!
And I bet you are not a wasteful person, it is that I must be extremely frugal to have the simple happy life I have!

Maria said...

Love your bedcover; all the memories in those squares and the clothing they were cut from :-) Your cat is very regal and gorgeous looking!

Humble wife said...

Ah Maria, you are so correct!! And kitty~she is. She has six toes on each front paw-so she is our unique kitty.