"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Day in the life

As the year rapidly winds down to 2013 I thought I better share a day in the life of today in early January on the farm. I am not ashamed to admit that the first and last photos are from the file: Post Someday as time gets away from even the best of us.


I snapped the photo at the perfect time. In my journey I must travel near train tracks. Fortunately I enjoy the graffiti on the cars and consider it my own private art showing with modern, eclectic, punk, and of course incredible paintings and I am allowed to view these for free. The other day I saw Spy Vs. Spy painted on the entire car!!! We humans are doodlers. I have this blog, the pioneers moving west carved their names on Independence Rock~so why not on the cars? Please remember I am not endorsing the destruction of property, I am only appreciating the sights of my humble farm. Perhaps there is a college course offered for railroad car painting as Columbia University is now offering a course on the Occupy Movement.

Back to the farm. I am working on a simple project today of painting the lids to my canister set in the kitchen. The set carries on the frugal theme of the farm by repurposing pickle jars into a canister set. This is a before photo with a few more steps to go. I will update at some point an after photo!

Many have posted the books they wish to read this year and I thought I would join in. This is a very small collection of books I am going to be reading as I read every day and wander from a variety of topics. Remember I have to be Jen-of-all-trades! If you would like a free Bible to read in 2012 feel free to leave a message and we will send you one.


And my final photo is to share with any new readers and to remind any regular readers of the climate I live in.

This was a dust storm that hit the farm. It was massive and I was so glad I was inside when it hit. Last spring we had a dust storm pick up one of our coops and turn it upside down!

That is a simple day in the life of the Double Nickel. I pray you have a moment to appreciate any free art showings in your neighborhood. I challenge you to take a bit of each day to read for your enlightenment. I call for the art student inside you to repurpose something this year no matter your age and of course when you have a dust storm head your way duck because one of our coops may knock you out!

Have a great day

7 comments:

Susan said...

I watched 2 L-O-N-G trains so by the other day, as we were waiting at a spot for some time. I counted the cars on the first one 129 and when I told Aric he said, "Grandma did you count them?" Why of course!!! I also enjoyed the graffiti and I like you find some beauty in it.

About the pickle jars----do they lose the pickle smell? I know when we were doing the honey we could never put them in a recycled pickle jar. Just wondering? We have quite a few large pickle jars we just throw away each year at King's Kitchen for that very reason. I know they would make great sun tea but I was not sure of that issue.

Amused in your first paragraph that it is already 2013.....my days are already flying by too fast!!

Humble wife said...

Susan- tell Aric I count them too. Usually when I am doing the dishes I watch in a distance. Ours average 99 cars.

As to pickle jars oh no~do not throw them away. First wash in warm soapy water, then soak in warm water with a 1/4 cup of vinegar. Rinse and dry and they are perfect.

I use them for everything- powdered sugar, suntea, sugar, flour, beans, pasta, and on and on. The same for the small jars as they are perfect for storing foods to send with Bill to work(in case he forgets to bring home). It is very easy and I have been doing this for years.

Lol about how fast the year is whizzing by! Seems like last week I was but a bride ;)

Sassy said...

I like your comment about the railroad car painting class as appose to the Occupy class. Isn't it NUTS!!

Dear, that's quite the dust storm.

I also check out graffiti art on train cars while waiting for it to pass. Some of it not so nice but there is some that's quite artsy.

I just told Farmer Hubby today what I have untentions on repurposing some wood pallets out back. I hope to be posting on it soon.

kymber said...

dear Jen - i wash and rinse pickle jars too - we re-use them for everything around the Manor! but you can keep the dust-storms though - i have never seen one nor been in one and they kind of scare me!!! you can keep them rattlesnakes too! we just have the occasional brown bear and bobcat to deal with...we'll keep it at that!

your friend,
kymber

Country Life said...

Just ran across your blog, love the pictures
Kim

Ma said...

"rapidly dwindles down"...funny:)

I love the first picture!

Humble wife said...

Sassy-yes it is nuts! I think I will not be surprised then poof they do something again, and I am surprised!

I love repurposing pallets...can't wait to see what you have done!!

Kymber-oh the bear. We have been gathering wood and seen bear prints but never actually seen a bear up close. Now bobcats ugh. Coyotes ugh, mountain lion ugh...rattlesnakes----super ugh!!

I shared the dust storm because I want to share something unique to our region. As I continue my venture seeing the world one blog at a time, I am inspired.

Kim-thanks for stopping by. I will swing on over to your place too!!

Yes Ma- but true. Time continues on!!! :)