"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dates

Yesterday Bill had another appointment in El Paso, Texas. Since our oldest is now stationed at Fort Bliss, every time we go, we meet up with him. Yesterday I decided something that makes me smile.

It was all because our time with First last night. We went to dinner with him and stopped off at Costco. It was a date(corny to say) with our son. I loved this idea so much I am going to plan a date per week each month with each of the children(young adults). It is so nice to sit across the table and talk. I was smiling last night during our dinner with First, as I was so amazed to hear his thoughts, dreams, and more importantly of his day. I never thought when a new momma, that someday, I would have moments like these, and while I can, I will make every opportunity possible to continue to be amazed by these goofs that Bill and I have been so blessed to raise. They have made life so incredible that my eyes well up as I type. I cannot believe I have been so fortunate to see them reach each stage in their lives and look forward to the years ahead.

So my handsome Firstborn-thank you for our dinner date last night. You make me so proud~ Dad and I love you so much~ and as always the newest trends begin with you. Thanks for the inspiring idea!!

9 comments:

Monique Elisabeth said...

That is so great !! I love the idea. It is great to go out with your kids that way.
Have a wonderful day.

kymber said...

what a beautiful post and i love the idea of "date" night with each of your children. how awesome.

you both have been blessed. but so have your amazing children - i wish all parents were like you and Bill. you make me proud Jen. proud to be your friend.

your friend,
kymber

http://milkmaidrecipebox.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful experience (with many more to come!). What a different 'world' we'd have if families all around could experience and feel such love. Really, what IS more important than the love within a family? When people feel (are) loved, they can better reach out to others and 'spread the good'. It's something that rolls on and on. Again, thanks for sharing.

Gayle said...

Is it wrong to be jealous of your life? When I read I wonder the "what if's". Sounds like the most wonderful time. Beautiful.

debbieo said...

I love this idea and we have just 3 daughters left at home so we can do a date with each one and then one for us. The others girls are too far away to do that.
We know a girl who is in ElPaso, her hubs is at that base there.
debbieo

Humble wife said...

Monique-yes it is. We have made a date with our second son for Sunday afternoon~and I can't wait.

Kymber-thank you. For two goofballs that are younger children in large families-neither Bill nor I had any idea what we were doing. It is shocking to see that the kids can even tie their shoes-lol.

Milkmaid-yes. If we learn these skills at home, we can spread this about. But the wonderful thing is that if we don't, we can lean on our Loving Saviour Phil. 4:13 and through Him we can have it.

Oh Gayle-isn't the grass always greener? We each have such wonderful things to be thankful for...and that is a blessing.

Humble wife said...

Yes Debbie- I know that you could date the three. I wish I had thought of this sooner, because I would have sent a date letter each week to my oldest. KInd of a question letting him know I want to hear his ideas, his dreams and his thoughts.

Maybe you can visit your friend someday and we can meet up? Yay

Maria said...

A lovely post Jennifer! But I just wanted to mention that it works in reverse too. My DD2 reads my blog and she says that she can now see me as a 'woman' not just her mum. I hope that makes sense! lol

Humble wife said...

Maria-Yes it does make sense! I have one son that is an avid reader and he chats with me, and I can tell he is seeing me as a person as well. I have come to the computer when the others are on and occasionally I find them visiting the farm blog, so I know they sporadically come by.