"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, December 9, 2011

What can you make for 22 cents?

I can make a Hanukkiyah!
(image:Goo*gle Images)

Here is what I did to make a Hanukkiyah .

I went out to the woodpile and found the flat piece of wood in front and came in the house and explained to my son what I was trying to do, and he cut the piece of wood in the back. I had purchased 9 nuts from the local hardware store for 22 cents to finish the project. Note the small round piece of wood on the left behind the flat piece. That is an important piece as the candle that is use to light the other candles must be higher than the other candles.



I used one screw(that we had) to attach the two pieces of wood together. I then used my glue gun to attach the small piece of wood as well as the nuts. My local super center had the candles that I placed in for the photos.


Here is a photo in better focus with two dreidels and candy pieces.

8 comments:

kymber said...

first off - that is my absolute favourite poem by Frost - absolute!

secondly - how on earth are you able to come up with this stuff, Martha?!?!?!?

i said i was going to start calling you Spicey but i am changing it to Martha!

it is really beautiful Jennifer/Martha...thanks for sharing!

your friend,
kymber

debbieo said...

How interesting. I really like it.

Phelan said...

That's cool!

I made green army man jewelry :D

Amish Stories said...

In some art circles that would be considered art,lol. And i don't think I've seen 22 cents spent more wisely than this in a very long time! Richard

Melodie said...

I love just how simple and rustic it is! Lovely!

Humble wife said...

Kymber-it is my favorite poem also. I believe it as it has made all the difference for me! And as to coming up with ideas- I think the lack of monetary resources is often seen as a negative-for me it is a personal challenge to make more with less(or nothing at all)!!

Debbie-thanks. I am surprised at how much I like it too. The humbleness really resonates with me!

Phelan-Wow-do you have an etsy shop? I am certain that the jewelry would sell! I love that having the technology that we do, that we all can be storeowners and bring forth our products to the world!

Richard-thankyou! If I were "in" the circle-not only would I agree with you, but would be having my own showings!! lol Thankyou for your kind words!!

Melodie-rustic-yes, that is the perfect word! I love it too!

Glenn B said...

22 cents for you on a farm and you thus lucky enough to have a wood pile. I would have to buy the wood or scavenge it near a lumber yard.

As for your piece, nice craftsmanship there, very arts & crafts style. Could bring big bucks if some Jewish art nouveau type discovered you and liked your work, and why wouldn't he or she like it, it is great. Always amazes me what you think to do next.

All the best,
Glenn B

Humble wife said...

Oh Glenn!! I am but a simple person making the best I can with the least as that is what we have! Thank you :)