"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, December 30, 2011

Something to Think About

Farm families take care of their animals 365 days a year...Remove Formatting from selection
In the snow...

After catastrophic flooding *

During sunshiney days...

and
Have no paid holidays. No sick days... Kind of makes you think the next time you feel tired, under-appreciated and feeling like not getting out of bed.

Now we on the farm chose this life. I wish to make this very clear. I am not complaining... we began this life because we choose not to become a statistic. We opted to learn how to provide for ourselves as much as possible when times got tough for us, and during the first year it was very hard.

Yet,I read something along these lines today and had to share. Life is unique for each of us. And it is important to remember that nothing is free...hard work pays off, and if you want freezers filled and eggs each day, you give up a wee bit of me time.

Stay tuned for the Year End Post~coming soon, as there is but one day left to post it!!


*Flooding damaged much of the farm (except the house)...pens leveled, coops destroyed, pens broken...yet not one animal died.

10 comments:

Rhonda said...

Aye, God protects yo'critters! I admire anyone that will take on the every day hardship with joy of producing their living with their own hands...thank you so much for you comments on my blog in regards to the Thursday / Bible versions...I appreciate your being so honesty .... my passion is learning the hidden treasures of the deepest depths of God's Word...I'm a gold digger....ya might say ....

Phelan said...

Glad nothing diesd. Last flood we had here 2 lambs drowned.

Happy New Year (oh and AMEN!)

kymber said...

and Praise God for giving some people the resilience required to be a farm family!!! sometimes i don't know how you guys do it Jen...but then i see pics of your handsome hubby and sons and your beautiful daughter and read about how strong they all are. then i remember some of the stuff that you have been through in your life and how, when a crisis hit, you were strong enough to just up and turn your entire life around. you all are such an inspiration!

yes, Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

i will keep an eye out for your year end post but if i don't get to it in time - just know that we have you and all of yours in our hearts, thoughts and prayers...and we know that 2012 will be interesting to say the least. but it will also be another year of learning, honing skills and becoming better prepared.

all of our best wishes to you and yours in this coming year....maybe even a visit to the Manor? oh wouldn't that be awesome?!?!?!?

Happy New Year my spicey friend!

your friend,
kymber

Gayle said...

I can only imagine the work you had after the flooded. It must have been back-breaking and discourging to rebuild. It is a tough life you have chosen when you so easily could have led a life of pure comfort, but there are joys you experience that many can't even imagine.

Humble wife said...

Rhonda-gold digger for sure! I love it!

Oh Phelan- I am so sorry to hear about losing a lamb. Boy I know how a loss feels especially as a small scale farmer.

Kymber-I am always humbled when I read your comment. We continued on because we had to, and what would we have done if we quit? xoxox you are my sweet northern friend that makes me smile when I need a smile. Thanks Kymber!!!

Gayle-lol we kind of chose this life so we could continue having more while spending less, as we had a life changer. We had a comfortable life and then the a life event. We did not want to take handouts etc, as we realized that starting a farm would make things better/although harder for us.

Melodie said...

Yes..some mornings it is hard to get up and get going but I would have no other life than our farm life! I am glad you did not suffer loss of life in the flood.Our disaster this year was the drought.We did not loose and big animals,thankfully, but did loose the last of our rabbits and a few chickens.We continue, despite what nature throws at us!

Glenn B said...

I remember earlier posts, maybe here or maybe on Pen of Jen, about farm life in your first year. You were nowhere near as confident back then, almost overwhelmed by the new life you had chosen, yet you were one of the most determined people whose words I have ever read. That determination on your part, on your husband's part and on your childrens' part really paid off and while you don't have a spread like they did in Bonanza you sure are a lot more confident today as things go smoother for you on the farm. I am impressed and must say I tip my hat to you and your family, you succeeded where most of us would have failed. Good for you.

All the best
and Happy New year,
Glenn B

DebbieLynne said...

Thanks for the reminder of what farming really entails. I'm far removed from it, and it's good to be reminded of a life do directly dependent on the Lord's provision. Thank you for your blog.

Sassy said...

I concur with you Humble Housewife. My Farmer Hubby's been a farmer for way past 20 years raising livestock... no days off ever.

Then we decided to change our lifestyle too provide for ourselves more a few years ago, it seems like yesterday. Instead of living a somewhat retired life with grown kids out of the house, I seem to be working harder. But, it's all worth it, even with it's ups & downs. God is good.

Sorry for your flood but glad the house was fine and all you animals.

Happy New Year to you and your family. Abundant blessings be poured upon you from above.

Humble wife said...

Melodie- it is all we can do isnt it? Persevere against all odds but it is worth it! I am sorry to hear of the loss of your rabbits and chickens.

Oh Glenn thank you. But I believe many would do the same and have! Yes it was hard those first days. And your comment is very nice...and you were the first blogger I met and I think you were the first to leave me a comment on my other blog!! Long ago and far away!!

DebbieLynne-thank you for your blog. You too share with me something I am far from yet can appreciate through your eyes! thank you so much.

Sassy-yes I am working harder than I ever have in my life too! But you are correct, it is so worth it as God is good. Happy New Year to you and yours too!!