"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Saturday on the Farm

Snow surrounds the farm~at least high in elevation. For the farm we had rain and around 11pm a bit of big fluffy flakes. After last year I no longer will say we do not get snow here, but I will say we rarely have much snow. This is looking northeast of the front gates of farm(note the two poles not power poles).


This is Sierra Blanca~which means white mountains(white mountain range)~makes sense doesn't it? We are surrounded on three sides with snow on the mountains as to the west the mountains between us and Las Cruces, New Mexico also have a dusting. Perhaps more snow angels will pop up on the farm!?!


In other farm news: seems like more and more dumping of critters in my county. I am not sure how it is in other places, but we have tons of horses for sale which would be expected with rising costs, but now even goats, chickens, ducks etc. Someone gave away 20 or so chickens and pygmy goats the other day. I missed out on that one, although would have only taken the birds to assess whether they would be ok for eggs or butchering. Times are getting harder I think.


We ended up buying(for almost nothing) a few LaMancha goats a few days ago. The doe is pregnant and the buck clearly was raised as a pet and is pretty shook up that he is far from his home. The owners slashed the price as we originally only wanted the doe, but feeding cost were too high and they wanted us to take them both. So I revise my earlier statement...I do not think times are getting hard for people, I know it. I am thankful that we have been on this simple path for several years now and are more stable with less.This is the buck(dehorned). I am thinking of calling him Norm-because it was so normal for him to come up on the porches and look in bleating like he is part of the family. He cried a good long time last night. Today he is getting a new home as the boys are shoring up the buck pen, which he jumped with ease as the most athletic high jumper would. Scroll back up to the photo on the top of the blog and you will see how goats usually are: that is Comet and Cupid some of the first goats we ever had, and they lived on top of anything far more than on solid ground. I am sure the shoring will only benefit long term aesthetics of the farm instead of keeping Norm from coming to the house. I smile and think well why not? Here on the farm every critter learns very quickly that I am a softie-I talk to each one of them and eventually they know that I save prize treats for each one. The animals are also for food, but Bill and I agreed when we began this venture to see how we could be farmers using gentle training instead of whips etc. Bill actually has a rule that all animals must come to his call, and believe me, within days of acquiring any animal~ the animal does follow him.

Have a Wonderful Saturday!

2 comments:

Gayle said...

I love to hear how you take time with each animal to make them have such a good quality of life. We've been having a lot of dog dumpings in our area..people tying up their dogs at the dumpsters with no food and water. Very sad indeed.

Humble wife said...

Oh Gayle- that makes me so very sad to hear about the dogs...