"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cranbars Made simple: Updated

I made fig bars yesterday. Instead of fig filling I made it with dried cranberries.

Cookie:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup each granulated sugar and firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp each salt and baking soda
Mix butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla stir well, set aside. In separate bowl combine the flours, salt and baking soda. Mix wet and dry ingredients wrap and put in fridge for about an hour.

fruit filling:
1.5 cups dried fruit
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1tsp grated lemon peel
2 tbsp lemon juice

Cut the cranberries into finely chopped pieces and crushed the walnuts and almonds. Then combine all ingredients and put in pan and cook over medium heat. Stir until it becomes thick(5 minutes or so). Let cool completely.

After an hour roll out the cookie dough, and use a ruler to make shapes like the photo, then spoon on the fruit mixture, fold over sides and cut into 4 inch or so cookies, invert and bake at 375 for 6-10 minutes. When cookies are baked cut into 2" cookies.

Updated: And here are the remaining 4 cookies!

Top View!
Side View!

I really cannot express how delicious these cookies are. I am not the biggest fan of sweets, but these cookies could be the life changer!

7 comments:

Melodie said...

I bet those don't last long around your house! They sound yummy!

Anonymous said...

YUM!
I have the ingredients for this....

Sending you and yours hugs and blessings this Christmas.

LizinNY

Ma said...

I love cranberries! Do you have an after picture? :)

Humble wife said...

Melodie-you are correct!

Liz-oh thank you, and to you and yours.

Ma- I am going to upload now!!:)

Anonymous said...

HW,

Sweets are the bane of my life. I am not diabetic, but my bride is. So we avoid most of it and usually sweeten with Stevia.

I will try your scrumptious sounding recipe with both less sugar and Stevia.

I know I didn't mention I LOVE fig bars. And your subs sound even better.

Winston

Ma said...

Thanks Jennifer- these do look really good:)

Humble wife said...

Winston-believe me the cranberries made a delightful difference.

Ma-they are. Not martha stewart perfect though!! lol