"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, November 4, 2011

Which 1% do you think about?

As we are bombarded with the news of the occupiers, I thought I would share something that made me appreciate something different. On Wednesday I had an opportunity to go to the VA hospital in El Paso, Texas. As expected many of the people there were older and far from their days in a uniform. As I walked through the halls I thought deeply about this professed 1% of Americans that are ruining things for the rest of us. I thought about how the Occupy movement has received understanding from the White House as well as from many in Congress and kind of frowned.

Because I saw a sight that made me choke up and nearly burst into tears. In the VA hospital were several young soldiers~young like my oldest son...in wheelchairs.

These men and women are the 1% I focus on.

You see they are part of a group that comes from a small number of Americans that choose to stand-

And if one understands military strength, one realizes that in order to live with the peace, freedoms and security that even our precious whining Occupiers enjoy, we have to have a set of horns.

If you are unfamiliar with what a set of horns means, let me explain. You see bulls do not eat meat, yet they have long horns to show the predators they want to be left alone as they graze. And living here in the southwest I see Texas Longhorns which have the most ferocious long horns ever.

Our military is ferocious. We stand~ and for the rest of the western world to hate our actions I must remind them that 2011 would be a far different world if America was not so willing to not only protect our way of life, but also the western world's comfy way of life. Perhaps you argue it is about Big oil etc...I cannot disagree. You see, I enjoy having the ability to drive to and fro. I appreciate that I can place my child on an airplane to travel back east. I enjoy typing utilizing energy and living the life I lead.

I am sick and tired of those that whine and cry. Act. If you don't like that you have a college loan- PAY IT OFF. If you don't like using gasoline or oil- move off grid. If you don't like Brussels sprouts-don't eat them. If you don't like big corporations and their greed- cease dealing with them- no one makes you use banking or money or modern medicine. No one forces you to even enroll your children in schools that utilize big oil, waste energy and have sporting events that teach winning instead of group losing.

As I walked those halls in El Paso, I was humbled. I know I will never convince the occupiers to stop whining, as this has worked for them. Without a cause, the politicians will never get any more tax dollars so...the occupiers will receive handouts, food stamps, bailouts on home loans that they signed up for, credit card reprieves regardless of the fact that they had to buy that $400.00 pair of sneakers on credit~ NOW~ instead of paying cash for their purchases.

I often wonder what people felt as times heated up just before something happened that changed their way of lives... did it feel like it does now? Because in my heart of hearts, I feel something big is coming our way. And we are too busy hating the 1% all the while ignoring the 1%

“Less than 1 percent of the American population is bearing 100 percent of the burden of battle.” - Tom Brokaw



3 comments:

Ma said...

That is the thing that really bothers me about the protests, the whining.


I hope we all go back to when we cared about and for the people in our immediate circle. If everyone did that, I think the world would be a much better place along with love, compassion and personal responsibility.

Humble wife said...

Ma I agree about the whining. I always ignored my children when they were whining. Seems like they understood whining got them nowhere.

As to each community and our circle caring I wish we would begin that too...of course many of us do without being talked about or spotlighted.

DebbieLynne said...

Again, your blog post fits well with the one I just wrote. Are you my long-lost twin?