"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wednesday Window

Busy here on the farm. I often sit at the computer and wonder if anyone sees the world the way I do. I am startled by how far, we as a society, have come that we ignore the preciousness of life unless it is wanted and seek the materialism that is always one inch beyond reach.


I read this morning that Michelle Duggar is pregnant again. I am overjoyed for her and read a lovely article about her here. I confess that if the Lord had allowed I would most be much like Michelle. I love being a mother. May we all welcome a new baby as the Duggar family does.


As I type my posts seem to match my mind-here and there wandering from thought snippet to thought snippet.


Here are a few photos of things around the farm


Enchilada Sauce- Double Nickel Farm version #31. 1 tsp cumin
2. 2 tsp New Mexico chili powder
3. 1/2 tsp salt
4. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
5. 1/4 tsp onion powder
6. 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
7. 24 oz. unsalted tomato sauce

I mix all the ingredients together and
store them in a jar in the fridge overnight. I do not heat them-yet the overnight chill makes it perfect when I prepare the enchiladas and then put the sauce on and bake.



My daughter and I have been documenting the astounding growth of the Great Pyrenees pups. They are so amazing to watch...she has taken the training to heart and is extremely talented in her ability to train these mini giants.


It seems to take me several photos to calm the pups down to snap a perfect photo- and yes that is Red the Rooster fleeing on the top right. Remember Samson and Red are pretty good friends...reminder post here!

Salsa on the farm- wimpy on the right(mom's-note lid=me) and spicy on left.
I use tomatoes~jalapenos~Serranos~cilantro~garlic~onion and freshly squeezed lime.
Farmer loves salsa on everything. I love salsa just as much but am a bit more selective. I prefer spaghetti minus salsa!

Thought I would share a bird's eye view of mashing of the beans~ in my making refried beans. I cook pinto beans in the crock pot overnight with one onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a chili pepper. By morning they are cooked and I have beans with breakfast. I mash them for the dinner meal...oh I love beans.

Random snippet of my life. I live near several pistachio orchards. Believe it or not I live near the World's Largest Pistachio!! I am not trying to make any of you jealous~as everyone seems to have their own ball of twine nearby~you may have to look around bit!! I love the garlic pistachios. Oh boy they are so delightful!

Here is another random snippet of my life. My grocery has a tortilla factory(far left oval). I am not sure if our town has a bakery like the Great Harvest Bread company(which by the way I love-in Utah) but we do have several tortilla factories. I confess that although I make a mean tortilla, I also buy torts here. And on the farm we eat more tortillas than bread-so it is a good thing that torts are more common. {Great Harvest Bread Company-if you are reading...I do miss my visits and the lovely free samples~ooh how much I enjoyed my last stop shopping when we lived near you}

This was my view tonight...oh I love my mountains.


And finally- my table has become the harvest center for the past few days.
The cayenne peppers are drying, the tomatoes ripening, and I am enjoying the blended aromas of each!


This has been a window to my Wednesday! We have incredibly exciting news that is happening this month on the farm~ I can't wait to share.

Have a lovely week!
Jennifer

6 comments:

kymber said...

okay - number one - this all over the map post has me needing to go back to the top and start from there. again.

hang on. need to go back to the top.

okay back now. no idea who Michelle Duggar is and not wanting to search on google. but have made a note and will look tomorrow.

next enchilada sauce - jambaloney will love. and he will love the spicey salsa. i like mine a little milder too!

gorgeous Fourth training what looks like Polar Bears (hey - i have been to the Arctic and know what Polar Bears look like!) is awesome! my dear friend - my head is spinning!

lastly - you live near a giant pistachio?!?!?!? okay - that is too much for me. i turned 41 today - woohoo! and am loving the forties. but now need some bed.

hopefully my comment doesn't have my forever friend's head spinning - teehee!

always, eh?
kymber

Melodie said...

I am with you ,I am thrilled for the Duggars! I too would have had many children if the Lord had allowed it.They get a lot of criticism but look at the children they are raising!They are kind,respectful,loving and hardworking,with strong values! I would love for the Duggars to have 20 more terrific kids,we need them in the world!
I made homemade salsa just yesterday!

Pat in Albuquerque said...

Yummy! And such cute puppies. And once again, I am in your blog stealing your recipes; with proper attribution, of course. I have a friend who has to watch her salt, and imagine that unsalted tomato sauce is made in the crockpot with fresh tomatoes the same way I made up my pears (well, not with sugar added!)

Thank you VERY much! If you ever get to Albuquerque, have a Western omelet at the Frontier; their fresh flour tortillas are to die for. And their omelets are fluffy. And full of green chile.

Humble wife said...

Kymber- lol---I am a confusing poster some times! Michelle Duggar has 19 children and is pregnant again. Her children are well clothed, fed, and mannered. They have no debt and built their home themselves. They drive earth global warming crowd crazy for overpopulating etc etc. but truth be told I believe they drive folks crazy because of their religious beliefs...
Yes to the dogs looking like polar bears...yes to the enchilada sauce-yummy and with oregano is a fighter. LOL to Jamber and you like Bill and I on spicy.

Yep to the giant pistachio- what can I say. Oh I know-wait until I photograph the giant road runner...oh hippy hurray!

Happy forty-one for you...I love my forties...and can't wait until my fifties.

ANd thanks for the visit...<3


Melodie- you are absolutely correct...if we had more duggars in the world we would have more manners compassion kindness and all around sweetness. I often wonder if others appreciate that the life they live is how I live...with kindness sweetness love joy happiness oh heck- the fruit of the spirit. I believe the world would be a far better place with more living like the duggars than the kardashians. ps love love love homemade salsa...hope you enjoy your salsa!!

Pat-yes I think that the unsalted way is best. I am a western egg person with enchilada sauce on it. Bill loves Mexican food which by the way in our house is just plain old food! lol thanks for the visit!

Kathi N. said...

I love the giant pistachio. When I first saw it, I squealed and my husband thought he was about to run something over. Once he knew what I was squealing about, he zipped back around and jockeyed into the best position so I could get its picture.

I really like the area you live in.

Thanks for the nice post.

Humble wife said...

Kathi- I am happy your husband was able to maneuver safely!I think all of us have some sort of beauty or goofiness in our regions to smile and enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!