"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Friday, November 4, 2011

Sweet Eats



For dinner tonight I made one of my favorite foods-sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes! I never even tried a sweet potato until we bought the farm and I am sad to confess that I missed out on something wonderful for a good many years.

Now for my quirky reveal-I do not really care for sweet things. So the first time I made a sweet potato I made it the way that would be more savory. I made it onions and a bit of olive oil. Oh so delightful and the only way I have ever eaten them!

The sweet potato is an incredibly healthy food. Please jump over to World's Healthiest Foods and read about them here- you will be amazed!

My recipe:


One sweet potato and one medium onion

washed and peeled-save the peelings...


pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in oldest dinged skillet or pan you may have! (ignore creepy reflection in oil~blame dinged pan)


Cut up the sweet potato into small pieces slice onion in rings


Put pan on medium heat...cook for a bit and eat!
For the record: The peelings are for the turkeys. It is November and some things need to fatten up for a certain day. Not saying it will be something either of us enjoy, but the end result will be appreciated by the farm family!
The photos are from my cell phone. Seems like it is a glorified camera far more than a machine to text or chat...so by glorified we can all agree that I mean photos in a hurry that I can quickly zip to my computer, open-download and post.

Oh and Bill's comment? Delicious.
My comment? Superb!
Kids comments? You made sweet potatoes? Ugh we only went to the movies and missed out!!

4 comments:

kymber said...

mmmm....looks yummy! another way that i do sweet potatoes is like normal baked potatoes. leave the skin on the potatoe. pierce it several times all over with a fork, rub olive oil all over it, salt it and put it in the oven at 350F for an hour. take it out, cut it half, mash it up a bit, tons of butter - yummeh!

thanks for sharing Jen!
your friend,
kymber

Humble wife said...

Baked!! I will try this next Kymber- thanks!!!

Mrs. Mobunny said...

I don't care for sweet potatoes, but it is MY job to make them for holidays. You know, the marshmallows and the whole nine yards. Everybunny likes them, but I won't even taste them to see if they're OK! I am always careful to choose the longest and the littlest around ones, they are easier to peel AND cut. I would never use a sweet potato out of a can....

Humble wife said...

Oh Mo Bunny- I would never eat them out of a can either. I cannot imagine sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I laughed when you said you would not taste them...as I would not either. I cannot believe so many eat them this way...sigh!! thanks for stopping by!